CosmicBookNews.com   

Go Back   Cosmic Book News Forums > Comics, Movies, TV, Gaming and more > Marvel Cosmic and more
Connect with Facebook

Marvel Cosmic and more Annihilators, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Thor, FF, and all things Marvel - discuss here!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 AM   Tweet this Post! #121
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default What's Stephen Wacker's Problem? Nova Fans Feel Insulted

What's Stephen Wacker's Problem? Nova Fans Feel Insulted

- Twitter
cosmicbooknews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM   Tweet this Post! #122
timelord
Quasar Class

Default Re: NEW NOVA (several Centurian) and Guardians

Excellent idea Matt. And we could probably pull in the boycott NINO website at Facebook to help us. Anyone know who at Disney is the man?
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 PM   Tweet this Post! #123
dmills
Fraternity of Raptors

http://www.change.org/start-a-petition

So apparently how it works is that you give the name of the organization/corporation etc that you're petitioning. Then you state your petition and submit it. They then put it up on their website to gather signatures. You can post links to help promote the cause through the various social networks; twitter, Facebook et al.

Once it gathers a certain number of signatures it gets sent to said organization/corporation etc.

Here's a write up giving more info about the service

http://www.change.org/about/business-model

I gather that this place is tilted left and thus I suggest some things we can include to make our cause look more attractive to folks of that political persuasion. Talking points such as:

The high science fiction concepts the we as readers were introduced to in Nova books even dating back to the mid 70's, (such as the concept of time dilatation introduced in Nova v.1 #24 I believe ) and how that inspired us to get more into science and astronomy etc.

The potential consequences of the subsequent dumbing down of the character and concepts for the sake of corporate gain (Disney lol).

The fact that Nova was considered an "average common man" from a working class family who fought against odds to become a great leader of men.

Ultimately we are talking about comics here so on a site such as change.org we may or may not be taken seriously, so our message has to be carefully crafted to strike a chord there lol.
dmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM   Tweet this Post! #124
Guest 04
Darkhawk Class

Its a great idea - I think Timelord will be your man to write the info. There's a lot of disgruntled fans out there and this gives them the chance to have their vote and voice their concerns. Daz
Guest 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 PM   Tweet this Post! #125
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

I'm not sure if change.org is the way to go as that is more for political stuff.

I was thinking more of a petition geared at Disney.

They probably have no idea about the comics and such, and believe whatever Marvel spoonfeeds them.

I'm wondering if there is some "main man" at Disney who kinda oversees the Marvel stuff, and if he gets a petition and sees something is going on, that he might question just what in the SAM heck Marvel is doing.

I don't think we would want to make Disney look bad if the goal is to bring back Rider or call more attention to him.
stingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 PM   Tweet this Post! #126
dmills
Fraternity of Raptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerman View Post
I'm not sure if change.org is the way to go as that is more for political stuff.

I was thinking more of a petition geared at Disney.

They probably have no idea about the comics and such, and believe whatever Marvel spoonfeeds them.

I'm wondering if there is some "main man" at Disney who kinda oversees the Marvel stuff, and if he gets a petition and sees something is going on, that he might question just what in the SAM heck Marvel is doing.

I don't think we would want to make Disney look bad if the goal is to bring back Rider or call more attention to him.
Nah it's not just political. Heck, just a week or so ago a bunch of Nintendo fans put together a petion on change.org because they were pissed that the publisher of the video game Dark Souls II isn't making a Wii U version, only a PS3, 360 and PC version lol. They got like 13,000 signatures in just a few days iirc lol. Matter of fact it was a similar petition that actually convinced Namco to release a PC version of the first Dark Souls game.

And that could just be one. Nothing prevents us from targeting Disney, Marvel shareholders etc. Hell I'd even be willing to send Loeb a cake

Ike Perlmutter seems to be a guy to go reach out to. Marvel CEO via Disney I believe. The chairman is Morton E. Handel.
dmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 AM   Tweet this Post! #127
timelord
Quasar Class

I will look into this petition site and get back to you all with info.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 PM   Tweet this Post! #128
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Axel Alonso Admits Jeph Loeb Responsible For Marvel Cosmic Reboot

Axel Alonso Admits Jeph Loeb Responsible For Marvel Cosmic Reboot

- Twitter
Old 12-22-2012, 04:58 PM   Tweet this Post! #129
timelord
Quasar Class

"I have no doubt they'll embrace Sam."

Well Mr. Alonso, let me create some doubt. Ain't gonna happen! Down with NINO!!! And by the way, bite me.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 PM   Tweet this Post! #130
Guest 04
Darkhawk Class

This was Mr W'S reply to one of my comments:

"Heh...is there anyone online you DON'T represent? I'm not sure your delusions if grandeur are big enough! Anyway, Merry Christmas. I hope you like the book. Regardless of your histrionics, I know you'll be reading.

SW"

And my reply at the forum we won't name:

" I don't have any delusions of grandeur. You obviously do. And I don't have to represent any of the other long term Nova fans out there. They'll do that all on their own I can guarantee that.

Same as those that follow the Guardians who I'm sure will be as equally vocal in anything they like or dislike with Bendis' plan for the series. It's just a shame that compared to the likes of Andy Schmidt and Bill Roseman who made it part of of their Editorial policy to engage fans - even to the point of including ideas and concepts into Nova' under Dna's run which were greatly appreciated - and also more importantly listened to us - whether fans griped or praised - that you Sir aren't prepared to give the same.

More so having read today's Axel Alonso's column regarding Nova wherein its quoted by the EIC in reference to us Rich Rider fans:

" Absolutely. I sincerely think that "Nova" is career-defining work for Jeph. He's writing this one from the heart, and it shows. Sam Alexander, the whole story, has been percolating for a very long time. Jeph never settled for a "first draft idea" -- he workshopped his ideas, slept on 'em, threw a bunch to the curb -- and he's produced one of the most heartfelt, moving stories we've produced since, well, since I've been here. It's probably worth noting that Jeph's plans for Nova predated our plans for the Guardians, so in a sense, he laid down the first brush-strokes for our overall plan to reinvigorate Marvel's cosmic characters. When the fans of Rich Rider see what he and [artist] Ed [McGuinness] are doing with "Nova" -- see the deep respect they have for the history and legacy of that character and their vision for the universe he inhabits -- I have no doubt they'll embrace Sam. Someone else is wearing the helmet. It's his responsibility now."

So in other words - Loeb is respecting the fans, Rider's legacy - by making sure he stays dead. Good plan. Shame about the execution. Of course its not going to work if the Editor of the comic is doing his utmost to alienate potential customers by calling die hard Nova fans "delusional".

Right now Mr Wacker - considering it is Christmas and seasonal time of goodwill - perhaps it would be best to just do the honors and make an apology. Before things go completely out of kilter. Its not too hard to admit you're a kvetcher in your own right.

Anyway for the rest of the readers here - on behalf of Nova Prime Page and CBN do have a good Christmas and New Year. Mr Wacker will be happy to know at least one die-hard Nova fan will be taking a break - I'm sure however the rest will keep the pressure on."

....AND that's it for me for a while. I'm having a break except to do my Who review for CBN. Have a good holiday all and don't let the Wackers get you down. D.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM   Tweet this Post! #131
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Default Here we go at CBR again

Over at CBR reader started a thread about fans wanting comics to stay stagnant - which would hinder the creativity of writers. He first mentions how people are complaining about the spiderman - doc ock body swith and death. But then he morphs into us Nova fans not wanting change. I edited his statement, but this is a piece, below:

"If we know that there's a great big Nova Corps. out there, why get up in arms about giving the spotlight being given to a new member as opposed to subscribing to the "RICHARD RIDER IS THE ONLY NOVA THAT MATTERS" theory? How do you know if you're unwilling to even give an unexplored character like Sam Alexander a try?
Thoughts?"

I posted the following response.

"When I read the title for this thread, I was wondering if what is going on with Nova was going to be mentioned. Yep, sure was.

Here is my issue with what is going on with Nova.

1. They are saying Richard Rider is dead. We longtime Nova fans know it is very very very hard to kill Nova Prime. And we know Richard could have escaped from the collapsing cancerverse - we saw him jump from one galaxy to another by opening a gravimetric wormhole. So if Loeb truly loved Nova, he had ways of bringing Rich back.

Now, if they were just writing about another Corpsman, and not saying Richard was dead, I would not have a problem. If they said he was lost in space. I would not have a problem with it.

2. They are saying the Nova Force is gone, so where is Sam Alexander getting the power. There are no Nova Corpsmen without Nova Force. And now, Sam gets the power by putting on the helmet? They are altering the Nova mythos to fit their needs.

3. The stories written by DnA were the best Nova stories I have read. And I started reading Nova when I was ten years old, back in 1976. DnA made Rich a well respected galactic hero, whose growth was tremendous. And now that is gone.

And on top of that, they are saying RICH IS DEAD!

Again, if Marvel just said we are exploring the life of a different corpsmen, Rich is still out there and alive - I would not have had a problem."

Timelord, Stinger, go get him!

Jimmy
40yearoldNovafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM   Tweet this Post! #132
timelord
Quasar Class

Done. I'm tired of the CBR a******s and their condescension. I posted a come back they'll not soon forget.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM   Tweet this Post! #133
dpfeif
Darkhawk Class

Default Re: What's Stephen Wacker's Problem? Nova Fans Feel Insulted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicbooknews View Post
Wacker is a really classy guy. People voicing concerns about the (Spider-Man spoilers)
Spoiler:
potential rape of Mary Jane by Doc Ock in Peter's body from the current ASM & coming SSM storyline
are being accused by Wacker as having "rape fantasies": his own words. Meh.
dpfeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   Tweet this Post! #134
Moose100

Still on the fence...

The only reason I am interested b/c I think Marvel is constructing a "space opera" event for the coming summer.

Bendis hinted the "connection" between His X and the cosmic books..

Then there's Hickman's stuff alot of which picks up where DnA left off..
Old 12-29-2012, 07:29 PM   Tweet this Post! #135
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord View Post
Done. I'm tired of the CBR a******s and their condescension. I posted a come back they'll not soon forget.
I saw your reply, nicely put.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 PM   Tweet this Post! #136
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Default Re: What's Stephen Wacker's Problem? Nova Fans Feel Insulted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfeif View Post
Wacker is a really classy guy. People voicing concerns about the (Spider-Man spoilers)
Spoiler:
potential rape of Mary Jane by Doc Ock in Peter's body from the current ASM & coming SSM storyline
are being accused by Wacker as having "rape fantasies": his own words. Meh.
Wacker took to his twitter account as well.

They guy doesn't come off as being very professional.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM   Tweet this Post! #137
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

This was another fans pro Nova comment over at CBR:

..."We can't be unhappy with Superior Spider-Man because we should know it's not permanent but we can't be unhappy with a new Nova either?. Why should I believe that the Nova, if the mag is successful, won't be the new status quo? Maybe nothing is really permanent but somethings do go away in comics and don't ever come back. J

If I like what I was getting and it goes away for something I don't like, why shouldn't I say so? Because it makes some writer and editor feel like they are being creative when they mess up a mag I enjoyed? That is absurd to me. I liked Richard Rider as he evolved out of Annihilation. I didn't like him when he first premiered and was just okay with him during the New Warriors days. Annihilation's Nova was a big character doing big things - learning to balance his own head strong personality with new obligations and challenges. Now he is gone and I'm back to some version of Kid Nova. Kid heroes rarely interest me. It's a personal preference and not an absolute - I enjoyed Leave It To Chance in its day. Buy the new Nova if it appeals to you but don't try to tell me there is something wrong with me as a consumer because a product I liked was replaced but something I'm not interested in reading.

There is an emotional investment is some comics and some characters. They speak to what I believe in. Some times there are traits embodied in characters. Strip those traits out of the character and expect me to regard that as a positive change? Ridiculous. Maybe you create something new and different. Maybe I'll like that, too. It has happened but it's rare. There is a risk that publishers need to recognize. Sometimes you can't go back. The new thing you create becomes part of our memory and understanding of the world in which the character exists. It can "pollute" that environment. It can make it an unappealing place that I don't want to read about anymore. Dan Slott seems to understand what is essential to Spider-Man but Superior is now part of that environment and I find it an unappealing development. I think the mag has been compromised and when they decide to undo this development (assuming that they will), they will not be able to undo that compromise.

I think it is unfair and incorrect to assume that because some readers aren't happy about some changes that they are not willing to embrace any changes. Why would you assume that it is only 100% okay or 100% not? People come in many varieties and their willing to accept and even applaud challenges are going to fall across a broad spectrum. It is the rare individual that will not enjoy some changes in course but also rare to enjoy every change that comes along.[/QUOTE]

Below was my response to said fan:

WORD!!!

I have actually been reading a lot more Image, Zenoscope, and Radical, and some Avatar titles because they are more grown up and mature - and they are not apologetic about it. I do not mean X-rated stuff, just more mature stuff.

I guess I get what Marvel is trying to do, make sure they can bring in younger viewers, because us old farts will die eventually. But I think it is us old farts who purchase the paper medium. The kids chose to spend their money on digital stuff.

But when I was a kid, I did not need my heroes to be children. Doctor Strange, Tony Stark, Reed Richard, Captain America - loved them all and then some. And yes, some of my heroes were younger, Nova and Spiderman - but they were not shown as scrawny children who said stuff like "I need to ask my mom..." Yeah, they did sneak out to hide their identities and such, but they were still a bit more mature than this.

And, as you stated, Richard Rider had evolved, tremendously. And as a Nova fan from day one, I was extremely happy to see this. And now to see Marvel attempting to cater to the younger crowd and getting rid of Rich for the foreseeable future - well, it makes me sad.

Fellow comic character fans should understand this. They should not be the ones saying "get on the bus or get run over."
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM   Tweet this Post! #138
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Rocket Raccoon & Gamora Revealed In Jeph Loeb's Nova #2 (Solicit)

Rocket Raccoon & Gamora Revealed In Jeph Loeb's Nova #3 (Solicit)

- Twitter
Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM   Tweet this Post! #139
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Look: NINO Nova Gets Beat Up In Nova #1 Preview; Again

Look: NINO Nova Gets Beat Up In Nova #1 Preview; Again

- Twitter
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM   Tweet this Post! #140
MBond
Nova Centurion

Default Re: Look: NINO Nova Gets Beat Up In Nova #1 Preview; Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicbooknews View Post
Looks like total trash. The only shining moment is the splash page with the group of "Novas" handling the bad guys with Rocket & Gamora. That page is what I wanted the DnA Nova book to get to. I like the idea of a Nova Corps. I really hope this gets better.

Sadly...I will be picking this up and I will probably buy it until the series ends. I hope and pray that we will get Rich back within a year...It's been too long!
MBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   Tweet this Post! #141
Guest 04
Darkhawk Class

First off - yah that the forums are back!

Second - it just gets worse; Now Loeb's copy-catting the fact that Rich Rider got bullied at High School by Mike Burley! Does this NINO relaunch have any original ideas at all? Although to be fair the art is lovely! But that's about it. D.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:05 PM   Tweet this Post! #142
Guest 04
Darkhawk Class

My reply at the forum site we never mention regarding Nova 1 preview:

"Plus point- Art is nice - that can't be faulted.

minus point 1 - Rider was bullied at High School - so having Sam undergo the same thing is just another recycled / regurgitated concept from what's gone before in many a comic series before it.

minus point 2 - the price. This comic will have to be exceptional each and every issue to warrant someone buying it on a regular basis. No doubt a certain Editor will turn up to praise this in his usual glib manner - not that I'll be bothered. I've made the choice not to buy this and seems a great deal of folk have also made the wise decision. All I'll be interested in is seeing exactly how many do buy it in comparison to when Nova Vol.4 came out. Look forward to the sales figures!"
Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 PM   Tweet this Post! #143
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Regarding sales, Marvel is throwing everything they have at Nova and GoTG.

Nova #1 has SIX covers!

GoTG #2 has FIVE! And a movie variant, which might give us a first look at a character.

I hate to say it, but it's gonna be an uphill battle regarding these not selling well, which is not really a surprise.

What pisses me off though is they could have given DnA this much promotion and it would have sold just as much and not felt forced or inorganic.

You listening, Stephen?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   Tweet this Post! #144
nova64
Fraternity of Raptors

Nova #1 has 7 covers. There's a Skottie Young baby variant which wasn't listed in the original solicitation.

http://www.novaprimepage.com/news.asp#012213_2

Doug
nova64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM   Tweet this Post! #145
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova64 View Post
Nova #1 has 7 covers. There's a Skottie Young baby variant which wasn't listed in the original solicitation.

http://www.novaprimepage.com/news.asp#012213_2

Doug
Lol! Wow.

Where was all this before?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   Tweet this Post! #146
Moose100

Damn! Thats a lot!
I am cool with my five or six books I get a month. I'm still on the fence about the cosmic books.

I knew they were building up to a space opera but still.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 PM   Tweet this Post! #147
timelord
Quasar Class

What derivative BS. Flash Thompson and Peter Parker. The Loebotimization of the Nova concepts continues.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 PM   Tweet this Post! #148
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord View Post
What derivative BS. Flash Thompson and Peter Parker. The Loebotimization of the Nova concepts continues.
LOL. You are exactly right.

Wow.

I'll get that up shortly.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM   Tweet this Post! #149
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova3333 View Post
First off - yah that the forums are back!

Second - it just gets worse; Now Loeb's copy-catting the fact that Rich Rider got bullied at High School by Mike Burley! Does this NINO relaunch have any original ideas at all? Although to be fair the art is lovely! But that's about it. D.
Which is a copy, again, of Peter Parker and Flash Thompson.

Really - again. Marvel Now, at least in this case, has reverted to Marvel Then.

AND - I was worried this forum was gone forever. I was sad. I checked in every day - even privately mailed a couple of you to see if you knew where it went.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:33 AM   Tweet this Post! #150
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearoldNovafan View Post
AND - I was worried this forum was gone forever. I was sad.
Truth is they were burning me out.

And I felt maybe CBN shouldn't be giving Nova or GoTG any publicity - good or bad - as even if it's bad it will still be publicity.

But then I came across Wacker in another forum and knew we needed a place to go to voice our gripes.

They won't be taken down again.