CosmicBookNews.com   

Go Back   Cosmic Book News Forums > Comics, Movies, TV, Gaming and more > Marvel Cosmic and more
Connect with Facebook

Marvel Cosmic and more Annihilators, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Thor, FF, and all things Marvel - discuss here!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 AM   Tweet this Post! #151
edge13
Nova Corpsmen

Default Re: Look: NINO Nova Gets Beat Up In Nova #1 Preview; Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicbooknews View Post
just some minutes ago i post a Disqus message in there,then suddenly the msg& the disqus option gone in just a minute,whats give?
edge13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 AM   Tweet this Post! #152
edge13
Nova Corpsmen

Default Re: NEW NOVA (several Centurian) and Guardians

so ill repost it again
Quote:
whats your problem?was being hero or Avengers mean must never been bullied?
i find it hypocrite that you mocking Sam without even read the first issue,yet having no problem with Baz(Green Lantern),or even Kyle,John,Guy,or any others have been GL.
beside DnA run borrow/rip-off many of GL element anyway(Nova Corps,Nova Ego living planet=Mogo,etc) so why not its Legacy element?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 AM   Tweet this Post! #153
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge13 View Post
just some minutes ago i post a Disqus message in there,then suddenly the msg& the disqus option gone in just a minute,whats give?
We're moving all the comments for the Marvel Cosmic articles here.

- Twitter
cosmicbooknews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 AM   Tweet this Post! #154
edge13
Nova Corpsmen

Quote:
We're moving all the comments for the Marvel Cosmic articles here.
ok no problem,im just curious why its not done when the articles is up hours ago
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM   Tweet this Post! #155
timelord
Quasar Class

Quote:
so ill repost it again

Seriously? Yet another defender of Marvel's marketing ploy to raid, kill, pillage, and burn the Nova concepts, pull out what they think will have mass market appeal, re-package it, and act like its new and important? Seriously?

Marvel has reduced "Nova" to a costume populated by a teenage Peter Parker personality. And this new design actually looks like a manga inspired costume rather than the uniform its supposed to be. That's why I coined the phrase NINO - a phrase that's gotten some traction. This is just derivative bull###t - Flash vs Peter, teen angst compensated for by a cocky attitude, a gee-whiz teen sidekick for the Avengers, etc.

Been there, done that, moved on to much better and more original storytelling.

I'm sure with all this hype the first issue will be a 50K - 80K seller at least if for no other reason than lots buy all variant covers even if they never read the book. After that, sales will probably and hopefully drop precipitously. And instead of blaming a lack of creativity and an alienation of the fan base for the books demise, Marvel will wrongly conclude that there's no market for "Nova." Fine. I'd rather have no Nova than NINO. And maybe some future writer will resurrect the real Nova.

Nova is not and was never meant to be Marvel's answer to GL - so other than the name "Corps" very little is shared. As originally characterized by Wolfman, the Nova Corps was an elite division of Xandar's military - not the pan-galactic police force ret-conned by later writers. Frankly, I prefer Wolfman's conception of the Nova Corps.

And Kyle Rayner has been sidelined as the fans demanded the return of Hal.

There's certainly a "Lone Ranger" element of Nova fandom; but my read is that most of the fandom would be fine with a Nova Corps and there being many Novas to base stories on as long as Rich was the leader as in DnA's run. Even I could begrudgingly accept Sam into such a mix as much as I hate the character.

But that's not what we're getting here. We're getting teen Peter Parker as "Nova" and a disrespectful treatment of the legacy. We're going from good cosmic storytelling to puerile Earthbound teen angst BS. This is a regression to a version of "Nova" vastly inferior to the 1976 original. That's what we're complaining about.

And this argument that we're "pre-judging" is more BS. We've had ample time to see Sam in action: 1 digital comic, a cameo in AvX, 2 short Point One stories, and an entire season of USM. I find Sam inferior in every way. The second season of USM began this week BTW and Sam got his ass handed to him by Doc Ock. A true Nova should be able to fry Doc Ock from a half-mile away. But that's what we have to look forward to as was pointed out in the article here at CBN - an inept teen "Nova" that nobody respects. NINO is truly a deserved label.
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM   Tweet this Post! #156
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
ok no problem,im just curious why its not done when the articles is up hours ago
Just forgot to add in the forum link,that's all.

Regarding your comment, we've already read about Sam a few times and it's the same thing each time. Same with the preview.

DnA were on Nova for almost 48 issues total. Loeb swooped in and high-jacked it.

And I like Nova better than GL.

-Matt
stingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM   Tweet this Post! #157
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Why Spider-Man Was Killed: Peter Parker & Flash Thompson Are In Jeph Loeb's Nova

Why Spider-Man Was Killed: Peter Parker & Flash Thompson Are In Jeph Loeb's Nova

- Twitter
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM   Tweet this Post! #158
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default First Look At Jeph Loeb's Nova #2 (McGuinness Inked Pages)

First Look At Jeph Loeb's Nova #2 (McGuinness Inked Pages)

- Twitter
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM   Tweet this Post! #159
freddy1428

MC FLYYYYYYYY !!!!!! Lol, nice reference from Loeb, curious to see this new Nova, I really miss Rich, but like Mar-vell fan, I'm really used to see some change and legacy character... a good point for him, Gamora and Rocket will be guest star in this comics...it was one of the biggest mistake of DnA to don't continue the relation between Gamora/Nova done by Giffen (they prefer apparently Namorita and the more classic Nova).
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM   Tweet this Post! #160
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Joe Quesda Forgets New Nova Is A Kid In Variant Sketch

Joe Quesda Forgets New Nova Is A Kid In Variant Sketch

- Twitter
Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM   Tweet this Post! #161
freddy1428

Quote:
so ill repost it again
First welcome to the board edge13...it's nice to see new members and to see the forum comeback again.

First, in some way I'm agree with you, it's really not a surprise to see a teenager bullied, and like you I don't see a problem to have a new Nova...I have really liked Richard, but it's not for that I will judge for advance this comicbook.

Now some peoples don't like this kind of change, and that normal, specially with the controversial artistic choices for the futur cosmic stories (Loeb and Bendis).

But I'm happy to have someone like you with a different opinion about this situation...me, honestly, I'm just happy to see the cosmic Marvel comeback, I was not a big fan od DnA except their works for Annihilation Nova mini and Conquest, so the change is not a problem for me.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 AM   Tweet this Post! #162
edge13
Nova Corpsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy1428 View Post
First welcome to the board edge13...it's nice to see new members and to see the forum comeback again.

First, in some way I'm agree with you, it's really not a surprise to see a teenager bullied, and like you I don't see a problem to have a new Nova...I have really liked Richard, but it's not for that I will judge for advance this comicbook.

Now some peoples don't like this kind of change, and that normal, specially with the controversial artistic choices for the futur cosmic stories (Loeb and Bendis).

But I'm happy to have someone like you with a different opinion about this situation...me, honestly, I'm just happy to see the cosmic Marvel comeback, I was not a big fan od DnA except their works for Annihilation Nova mini and Conquest, so the change is not a problem for me.
Thanks
i too are fans of Rich,i dont mind the change cause i bet you hell be back sooner or later,if someone like Cap,Johnny Storm,Wasp could be back after their "death",Rich one is like a walk in the park.

and i dont have problem with different opinions,its just that i felt that the articles/reporting between DC&Marvel is very unbalanced here,when Marvel made (what some people tough to be) bad decision they keep publish it to the point it was too much(we know Matt,we know you hate Sam/Marvel,no need to keep posting it over&over again),while on DC zero...
i want/wish to see CBN made some balanced material about DC so i know they can be fair&balanced.
you hear me Matt McGloin?i want to see you post similar article about Simon Baz/DC too,so you could proof me wrong that you're not some kind of DC spokesperson or the like
theres so many bad decision on DC too,so why could n;t it be reported too?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM   Tweet this Post! #163
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Thanks
i too are fans of Rich,i dont mind the change cause i bet you hell be back sooner or later,if someone like Cap,Johnny Storm,Wasp could be back after their "death",Rich one is like a walk in the park.

and i dont have problem with different opinions,its just that i felt that the articles/reporting between DC&Marvel is very unbalanced here,when Marvel made (what some people tough to be) bad decision they keep publish it to the point it was too much(we know Matt,we know you hate Sam/Marvel,no need to keep posting it over&over again),while on DC zero...
i want/wish to see CBN made some balanced material about DC so i know they can be fair&balanced.
you hear me Matt McGloin?i want to see you post similar article about Simon Baz/DC too,so you could proof me wrong that you're not some kind of DC spokesperson or the like
theres so many bad decision on DC too,so why could n;t it be reported too?
Definitely not a DC spokesperson. We're not a spokesperson for anyone. I kinda think that is one of our draws as we don't have to cater to anyone.

Regarding Baz, you know Hal Jordan isn't going anywhere because he is Hal Jordan. He's a classic DC character.

And it's not like DC came and and outed Johns, replaced him with a new writer, and Baz.

Nova on the other hand is a lesser known character who saw four years of character growth get thrown down the crapper for a new Spider-Man.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   Tweet this Post! #164
freddy1428

I don't think edge13 say that Green Lantern and Nova are in the same situation or try to make a parallel between Richard/Sam and Baz/Jordan...I think he want to say that Green Lantern is in a catastrophic situation, Simon Baz is probably the worst Green Lantern ever, and the new52 comicbook are atrocius, but that CBN seem to promote them positively (there are near no negative articles against them)...

In other hand for Marvel, the negativity is not onely about Nova or GotG, but everything they do, positive or not (their futur movies, their comicbook etc...), I'm 100% agree that there are clearly a double standard...I can understand to be sceptical about the futur Nova or GotG, but not for Thanos mini by Aaron...he is really an amazing writer and that just a mini.

Now I can't understand why CBN have a positive attitude about Starlin about Stormwatch, first that just "Stormwatch", and Starlin, despite I'm probably his biggest fan in this forum, don't have written something good since the 90's...I really don't undestand that, if Starlin comeback in Marvel for the cosmic title, I would have been extremely worried (way more than for Loeb or Bendis).

Also, if we talk about the movies, CBN articles are far more positive about Man of Steel movie or JLA potential movie, than for every Marvel movies, specially the GotG movie., from a website called Cosmicbooknews, it's really weird.

I think that edge13 opinion about CBN articles.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   Tweet this Post! #165
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Hey, if anyone wants to write an article bashing GL, I'm all up for it: [email protected]

I'm actually not reading it and haven't been for sometime.

As I said, I like Nova more than GL.

This entire site sprang from the Annihilation stuff so its more focused on marvel cosmic.

And there have been a few jabs at Baz here and there.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 PM   Tweet this Post! #166
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Over at cbr, they are showing pencils of Nova #3 - With Sammy talking to Uatu the Watcher. They said by Loeb and the pencillers own admission, the book has been in the works for a long time. Marvel obviously likes the Nova character in order to give it a shot in Marvel Now. If they thought Nova was doing so poorly they needed to get rid of the character, a new one would not be here. The link is below, but I know you know how to find cbr.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=43358

Also, I just finished reading a years worth of Iron Man (Matt Fraction). I had stopped reading it because it was no fun. But I was still collecting it. Well, again, I read thirteen issues in the last few days. It was still no fun.

I don't know, I just have not been in love with Marvel's new school writers (Fraction, Gillen, etc). I miss Marvel's old writers.

Jimmy
40yearoldNovafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:42 PM   Tweet this Post! #167
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default First Look At Jeph Loeb's Nova #3 (McGuinness Pencils)

First Look At Jeph Loeb's Nova #3 (McGuinness Pencils)

- Twitter
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM   Tweet this Post! #168
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearoldNovafan View Post
Marvel obviously likes the Nova character in order to give it a shot in Marvel Now. If they thought Nova was doing so poorly they needed to get rid of the character, a new one would not be here.
The character of Nova for me is Richard Rider not Spider-Man.

Just saying.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM   Tweet this Post! #169
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerman View Post
The character of Nova for me is Richard Rider not Spider-Man.

Just saying.
Sho nuff! Did they think the "problem" with Nova sales was Richard Rider? I don't think so. I hate when people in comics and television think that every show or comic is going to have the maximum amount of viewers. And when the property or comic does not get all they think it should get, they yank it. The good shows on tv get yanked. Good comics get yanked.

Also, Loeb/s EXCUSE of honoring DnA's work and allowing Richard to stay dead or whatever, was just a cop out. Again, he has been planning this a long time. He could have brought Rich out of the Cancerverse, if he truly loved Nova so much.
40yearoldNovafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:57 PM   Tweet this Post! #170
freddy1428

Default Re: First Look At Jeph Loeb's Nova #3 (McGuinness Pencils)

Quote:
Amazing previews, I really love Uatu Alien look like, I'm happy to see that this Nova will be very cosmic.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 PM   Tweet this Post! #171
Dave Williams

Default Re: First Look At Jeph Loeb's Nova #3 (McGuinness Pencils)

Quote:
Amazing previews, I really love Uatu Alien look like, I'm happy to see that this Nova will be very cosmic.
Uatu sure does look like a Grey. Wow. Very XFiles.

Guess it's artistic license. I'm not for it but I wasn't buying the book anyway.
You'll have to fill us in Freddy.

Sidenote: (because I'm a broken record) I really miss those Quasar/Uatu meetings. The awkwardness. Portals. Unkilling Watchers. *sigh*

Back to Rich and NINO........
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 AM   Tweet this Post! #172
edge13
Nova Corpsmen

Quote:
Definitely not a DC spokesperson. We're not a spokesperson for anyone. I kinda think that is one of our draws as we don't have to cater to anyone.

Regarding Baz, you know Hal Jordan isn't going anywhere because he is Hal Jordan. He's a classic DC character.

And it's not like DC came and and outed Johns, replaced him with a new writer, and Baz.

Nova on the other hand is a lesser known character who saw four years of character growth get thrown down the crapper for a new Spider-Man.
i was asking for Matt McGloin,im still newbie here but are you by any chance Matt McGloin?

i dont think Rich a very/more lesser character than say your fave character:Wendell Vaughn(Quasar).
btw,were you this mad too to Keith Giffen/DnA when they killed him in Annihilation?

Quote:
Regarding Man of Steel, I'm looking forward to that as well. What's bad about it? I can't find anything really. I don't have a problem with the new suit. Henry Cavill looks to be a fine Superman. There will be some heavy cosmic action. What's not to like?
well,i do see more complaints for MoS than for IM3(no trunk/ugly costume,Zod again?,non white Perry,Jenny Olsen?,etc)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 AM   Tweet this Post! #173
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
i was asking for Matt McGloin,im still newbie here but are you by any chance Matt McGloin?

i dont think Rich a very/more lesser character than say your fave character:Wendell Vaughn(Quasar).
btw,were you this mad too to Keith Giffen/DnA when they killed him in Annihilation?
Yes, sir. That would be me.

And yes, I was just as livid about Quasar.

What actually happened was I had stopped reading comics for quite a while, 10 years or so. I heard about Annihilation and that brought be back to comics (something a lot of Annihilation fans seem to share).

I met up with like-minded Quasar fans at the CBR boards and we got together at the QuantumZone.org and petitioned Marvel about the return of Wendell Vaughn, and even sent them a "bring back wendell" cake which got covered on CBR and Marvel.com.

I also created a website to help bring back Wendell, aptly named bringbackwendell.com.

Well, Marvel seemed to take a liking to us fans - at least I like to think so - and Quasar eventually returned. That was something really cool back then, it seemed as if DnA were open and responsive to the fans.

Eventually, I decided to start these cosmic message boards as CBR had closed their Annihilation boards and the news part just naturally became a part of it.

Fast forward a few years and in January of 2010, I believe it was, someone began instant messaging various people on boards with insider knowledge about Marvel. One of them happened to be that Marvel was cancelling Nova and GOTG to move them from Tom Brevoort's executive editor office to then Executive Editor Axel Alonso's office, with Jeph Loeb being the showrunner of Marvel Cosmic.

That came true and Loeb's new Nova came of it with Bendis on the new GoTG (which I predicted last year), right in time for the new movie and tv show.

With no DnA in site whose books didn't get jack for promotion or were even allowed to have been involved in Marvel's big events.

Funny, DnA pitched a Cosmic Avengers at the SDCC with the crowd erupting. Fans asked Tom Brevoort "why not" and he said he needed a good enough idea.

Then Bendis says his GoTG is Cosmic Avengers. Tom was full of it and of course knew full well what was going on.

I can't support Richard Rider being replaced, as we saw 4 years of character progression, with a new kid NINO Nova who is just Spider-Man all over again.

And I can't support Bendis either as he's thrown on the book, giving everything including the kitchen sink, and at the SDCC Marvel reveals the Guardians of the Galaxy movie concept art -- and it looks exactly like DnA's version?

Forget that.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 AM   Tweet this Post! #174
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

I'll also say the behavior of the Editor, Stephen Wacker, and comments in interviews from Bendis, McNiven, Loeb and Axel Alonso is another reason I won't be supporting it.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   Tweet this Post! #175
freddy1428

Quote:

Well Stingerman have answered you, but he have forgotten the ugliest part...Quasar fans have simply boycotted every cosmic comicbook (and probably Marvel books in general)...say in every forums how Phyla-vell, Adam Warlock suck etc..; how DnA or Giffen (and the others writers of the mini) are bad writers and don't have respected Quasar etc...in some way the situation is not really different than now.

Quote:
well,i do see more complaints for MoS than for IM3(no trunk/ugly costume,Zod again?,non white Perry,Jenny Olsen?,etc)
So truth, it's for that I really find CBN pro-DC biased.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM   Tweet this Post! #176
freddy1428

Quote:
I'll also say the behavior of the Editor, Stephen Wacker, and comments in interviews from Bendis, McNiven, Loeb and Axel Alonso is another reason I won't be supporting it.
I can understand for the behavior of Wacker (despite I really find him funny, and understand him in some ways, because for years the guy and others writers have been insulted in CBR without any reaction from the moderators...well except if you are Busiek.)...but I don't remember to have seen a bad comments from Alonso, Bendis and Loeb, but I'm agree with you about the comments of McNiven, the costume of GotG were perfect, I'm worried if this guy don't understand that...but, well, these comment imo are not horrible, so I don't think they should be boycotted"...

@Dave Williams

Yes a "Grey" (it's weird to see that in english), I find that fun...but you know I play the "devil advocate" of Loeb and Marvel, but I'm not really not sure about this book....Loeb have been horrible, but he have been good in Superman/Batman, Batman Hush, Captain America "lost son".

But I'm agree about Uatu, the Watchers deserve more presence in the Marvel Universe, I have loved their cameo in Annihilation...I hope to see Quasar too very soon (don't hurt me Quasar fans !!!).
Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   Tweet this Post! #177
nova64
Fraternity of Raptors

Here's the full Skottie Young baby variant cover to Nova #1!

http://www.novaprimepage.com/preview...riantYoung.jpg

Doug
nova64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM   Tweet this Post! #178
dpfeif
Darkhawk Class

They really did NOT capture Uatu right, particularly the eyes. How do you get THAT wrong? The character has been around 50 years.

And Wacker is a dick. Period. I've seen enough of him on the Spider-Man and other forums. There's a difference from trying to change people's minds and insulting and calling them names. I'd be fired at MY job for doing that, and I have to deal with the impolite public frequently also.

And yeah, people on here were pissed when Wendell was killed off and even more-so when Phyla took his name for a while. But then elated when he was brought back eventually.

I'm not an admin here, but here's some negatives for Man of Steel: Jenny Olsen is just stupid, might as well change Lois to Lewis Lane; Perry white is WHITE (it shouldn't be racist to want a character to look like its original counterpart); The costume doesn't look "right", the movie looks too dark, and Supes is NOT supposed to be a dark character, he's not Batman; there's no John Williams score, since when was Clark Kent a fisherman(?).

Oh yeah, DC big negative: VIBE. 'nuff said.
dpfeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM   Tweet this Post! #179
freddy1428

dpfeif

I see your point about Uatu, but I really like the Grey Alien, so for me it's positive to see a new look...but I can understand that you don't like that.

For Wacker, I can agree he can be a dick (and he seem very parano time to time), but it's so good to see CBR members taste their own medecine, and sincerely lot of peoples really deserve that (and apparently, because of your work, you know that better than everybody).

For Phyla, okay, but like I have said to Stingerman, I was sure that Wendell will comeback if cosmicbook comicbook have success...now it's not because of his return, or to have Phyla dead have made the cosmic comicbook better...it was the opposite (Annihilation and Conquest were imo way the best moment).

For Man of Steel trailer, I'm 100% agree with you, I really would have wished to have a colorful Superman like the comicbook, not a depressive fisherman, the movie look like dark and grey...and I'm also 1000% agree about the race/gender change (for me the worst example was Heimdall for Thor).

Happy to see Big negative Vibe for DC...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:23 PM   Tweet this Post! #180
Dave Williams

Quote:
@Dave Williams

Yes a "Grey" (it's weird to see that in english), I find that fun...but you know I play the "devil advocate" of Loeb and Marvel, but I'm not really not sure about this book....Loeb have been horrible, but he have been good in Superman/Batman, Batman Hush, Captain America "lost son".

But I'm agree about Uatu, the Watchers deserve more presence in the Marvel Universe, I have loved their cameo in Annihilation...I hope to see Quasar too very soon (don't hurt me Quasar fans !!!).

Well.... if we are to take their direction of things seriously.......

Why wouldn't the Watchers be a part of this new "cosmic" angle? If Earth is Center Stage, then the Watchers would be heavily invested in it.

That only makes sense. And Uatu has been known to break a vow or two......

Let's see if Bendis ignores that little tidbit....I'd probably gage it as a "yes he will".

I don't thiink there's immediate plans for Quasar. Maybe a guest-appearance.....maybe. The streamlining of this new breed doesn't have room for militaristic and Nova compatriot-in-crime Wendell.

We'll see. Don't know if I'll want to read it. But I'll buy it if he shows up. Basically the only way I'd ever buy a NINO book at this rate.