CosmicBookNews.com   

Go Back   Cosmic Book News Forums > Comics, Movies, TV, Gaming and more > Marvel Cosmic and more
Connect with Facebook

Marvel Cosmic and more Annihilators, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Thor, FF, and all things Marvel - discuss here!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:58 AM   Tweet this Post! #1321
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Default Re: NEW NINO NOVA (several Centurian) and Guardians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth89 View Post
What's the exact email address? The link on the page is broken.
Works for me.

Here it is:

[email protected]

Added: I sent an e-mail, too, just stating I want Rider back and that Nova and GoTG were the gateway for me into the Marvel U. Also that I stopped buying Marvel Comics.
stingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 PM   Tweet this Post! #1322
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Zac Efron Rumored For Marvel Studios Movie: Is It Nova?

Zac Efron Rumored For Marvel Studios Movie: Is It Nova?

- Twitter
cosmicbooknews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:20 PM   Tweet this Post! #1323
timelord
Quasar Class

Default Re: Zac Efron Rumored For Marvel Studios Movie: Is It Nova?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicbooknews View Post
If it is Nova it would have to be for Rich. He's way too old to play NINO.
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:43 PM   Tweet this Post! #1324
twinkfist
Nova Corpsmen

He would be a solid choice for rich...hes a good actor.

Last credit scene with the worldmind saying "its critical"...I would freak out.
twinkfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:07 AM   Tweet this Post! #1325
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkfist View Post
He would be a solid choice for rich...hes a good actor.

Last credit scene with the worldmind saying "its critical"...I would freak out.
GoTG movie spoiler:

Spoiler:
A friend said no Nova in the movie.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM   Tweet this Post! #1326
twinkfist
Nova Corpsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerman View Post
GoTG movie spoiler:

Spoiler:
A friend said no Nova in the movie.
well...booooooo
Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 PM   Tweet this Post! #1327
NovaSpaceknightBetaRayX51
Nova Spaceknight

I'd also agree about Zac Efron as Richard Rider.

I'd be okay with Liam Hemsworth or Scott Porter up for the role as well.

As long as its not a "Sam Alexander" for a Nova MCU film.

I was just re-reading the "Nova: Secret Origin of Richard Rider" special one-shot and the new material written by DnA as well as the first ever Nova "Annual". Both really just re-affirmed why I associate with this "average everyman" comic book character more than I do Peter Parker, Steve Rogers, Kal-El, or any other with similar humble upbringings and strong values, etc. Its too bad Marvel did not allow Mr. Marv Wolfman to continue and further develop the vol 1 series as he wanted. I love re-reading some of the old letter pages! Nova had some really great fans when I was a kid. Too bad I wasn't as big a Nova fan as they were at the time. Just a casual fan...
I thank Abnett and Lanning as well as Keith Giffen for realizing the true Nova/Richard Rider we had all been waiting for. This is how you write and envision Nova for this generation as well as a big nod to the core fan base. This is the Nova we want the world to know and see.
NovaSpaceknightBetaRayX51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 PM   Tweet this Post! #1328
Sephiroth89
Nova Millennian

Here's what I emailed them with, coming straight from the heart.

"To Whom it may concern:

As a long-time fan of Nova, and a fan of DNA's run on Nova.. I'm shocked at what's happened. The badass that Richard Rider has become was a perfect evolution of the character. He then had his temporary hiatus at the end of Thanos Imperative. But to my shock and dismay, while Star-lord and Thanos came back... Richard did not. Not only that, but DNA weren't back on the book. After such an amazing run, on a comic that got me back to buying Comics again... it floored me. I tired reading Sam Alexanderson.. but it was insulting. He was just some snot nosed idiot kid (even the creator stated this, as I've found out) who's mother irresponsibly lets him go out into battle. He was a completely unlikable character and I found no redeemable trates to him. Not only that, but he replaced one of my top 5 Superheroes of all time, those being Spider-man, Deadpool, Batman, Punisher (okay I know Frank's debatable but still), and of course..Richard Rider as Nova.

Since then, I saw your own staff mocking those of us who are still fans. They have been very harsh and mean to us and even telling us that if we don't like it, to read your direct competitors..DC Comics. Saying things like "Go read Green Lantern." So I did. I boycotted Marvel and read DC's New 52 line, including Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps.

I just couldn't get into it. I wasn't there to read Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. I wanted to read about Richard Rider and his new Nova Corps including Franktur, Irani, Robbie, Zan and the rest of them.

Since then, I stopped buying or reading comics altogether. I'd lost hope, as not much in comics has interested me lately and I wasn't about to support a company like Marvel, who have been downright mean to its fanbase, and insults the fans on repeated accounts.

Still, I pressed on and I occasionally go to comic stores to see what's going on in the world of NINO (Nova in Name only).

I did once recently in fact. As soon as I saw that cover, I couldn't even read it. I was able to glance at how Bendis was handling Guardians of the Galaxy, and rolled my eyes going "typical Bendis. Genericized characters and bad writing where almost nothing happens." But as soon as I even TOUCHED the NINO issue, and saw him hold Stormbreaker.. I litterally threw the comic back onto the shelf in disgust. I couldn't even look at it for a few seconds. I picked it back up and started to look at the pages inside, but I just couldn't bear it. It was that bad.. I had to resist strongly to rip the comic in half (cuz I didn't want to have to buy it) as I put it back on the shelf again, it was just so much an insult to not only Nova.. but to Beta Ray Bill as well. I just couldn't stand the bastardization of such awesome characters.

To Marvel I have this to say: This is simply wrong, and you should know better. Bring back the Nova the fans all want. You can even have Sam Alexander still be a Nova too, just please bring back Richard Rider and give him his own series, with a good writer on the book. The sales will increase, the fans will have what they want..it's a win-win situation.

Either way, I'm just here to let you know that there are many Richard Rider Nova fans out there, and we want our voices heard. We are paying customers, and we have spoken with our wallets by not buying NINO. You can answer, or not. The choice is up to you guys.

Chris Ridgeway, a 25 year old who has been a fan of Marvel comics since he was 5 years old.

PS: Your Movies are awesome and I look forward to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie."

I'm Sephiroth89 on Blisteredthumbs.net
Sephiroth89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:16 AM   Tweet this Post! #1329
timelord
Quasar Class

Quote:

"To Whom it may concern:

As a long-time fan of Nova, and a fan of DNA's run on Nova.. I'm shocked at what's happened. The badass that Richard Rider has become was a perfect evolution of the character. He then had his temporary hiatus at the end of Thanos Imperative. But to my shock and dismay, while Star-lord and Thanos came back... Richard did not. Not only that, but DNA weren't back on the book. After such an amazing run, on a comic that got me back to buying Comics again... it floored me. I tired reading Sam Alexanderson.. but it was insulting. He was just some snot nosed idiot kid (even the creator stated this, as I've found out) who's mother irresponsibly lets him go out into battle. He was a completely unlikable character and I found no redeemable trates to him. Not only that, but he replaced one of my top 5 Superheroes of all time, those being Spider-man, Deadpool, Batman, Punisher (okay I know Frank's debatable but still), and of course..Richard Rider as Nova.

Since then, I saw your own staff mocking those of us who are still fans. They have been very harsh and mean to us and even telling us that if we don't like it, to read your direct competitors..DC Comics. Saying things like "Go read Green Lantern." So I did. I boycotted Marvel and read DC's New 52 line, including Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps.

I just couldn't get into it. I wasn't there to read Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps. I wanted to read about Richard Rider and his new Nova Corps including Franktur, Irani, Robbie, Zan and the rest of them.

Since then, I stopped buying or reading comics altogether. I'd lost hope, as not much in comics has interested me lately and I wasn't about to support a company like Marvel, who have been downright mean to its fanbase, and insults the fans on repeated accounts.

Still, I pressed on and I occasionally go to comic stores to see what's going on in the world of NINO (Nova in Name only).

I did once recently in fact. As soon as I saw that cover, I couldn't even read it. I was able to glance at how Bendis was handling Guardians of the Galaxy, and rolled my eyes going "typical Bendis. Genericized characters and bad writing where almost nothing happens." But as soon as I even TOUCHED the NINO issue, and saw him hold Stormbreaker.. I litterally threw the comic back onto the shelf in disgust. I couldn't even look at it for a few seconds. I picked it back up and started to look at the pages inside, but I just couldn't bear it. It was that bad.. I had to resist strongly to rip the comic in half (cuz I didn't want to have to buy it) as I put it back on the shelf again, it was just so much an insult to not only Nova.. but to Beta Ray Bill as well. I just couldn't stand the bastardization of such awesome characters.

To Marvel I have this to say: This is simply wrong, and you should know better. Bring back the Nova the fans all want. You can even have Sam Alexander still be a Nova too, just please bring back Richard Rider and give him his own series, with a good writer on the book. The sales will increase, the fans will have what they want..it's a win-win situation.

Either way, I'm just here to let you know that there are many Richard Rider Nova fans out there, and we want our voices heard. We are paying customers, and we have spoken with our wallets by not buying NINO. You can answer, or not. The choice is up to you guys.

Chris Ridgeway, a 25 year old who has been a fan of Marvel comics since he was 5 years old.

PS: Your Movies are awesome and I look forward to the Guardians of the Galaxy movie."
Great letter Seph! Marvel needs to receive more letters like this. It does make a difference and I encourage everyone who wants Rich back to follow Seph's fine example. Send Marvel an email or letter making the same points as Seph.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:50 PM   Tweet this Post! #1330
Kalen Rann
Nova Corpsmen

Quote:

"To Whom it may concern:

Wow!! Now there's a letter. You made so many points, you'd have to be blind, deaf, dumb, ignorant, and indifferent not to notice them. Well said Seph, well said.

Long live Richard Rider.
Kalen Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:09 PM   Tweet this Post! #1331
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:

"To Whom it may concern:

Nicely said, man.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 PM   Tweet this Post! #1332
NovaSpaceknightBetaRayX51
Nova Spaceknight

That's how a fan letter championing our support for Classic Nova: Richard Rider is done. Thanks, Sephiroth!
NovaSpaceknightBetaRayX51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 PM   Tweet this Post! #1333
Sephiroth89
Nova Millennian

I'm glad you all like it. FeeIs good after putting a lot into it. Honestly, i kinda wish I'd written it better...maybe been more specific about what made post-Annihilation Nova so good. Idk if it'd be redundant writing a second letter explaining that though.

I'm Sephiroth89 on Blisteredthumbs.net
Sephiroth89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 PM   Tweet this Post! #1334
timelord
Quasar Class

Quote:
I'm glad you all like it. FeeIs good after putting a lot into it. Honestly, i kinda wish I'd written it better...maybe been more specific about what made post-Annihilation Nova so good. Idk if it'd be redundant writing a second letter explaining that though.
Write another letter. Don't worry about any necessary redundancy. The more they hear from us the better. It helps drown out The inevitable counter movement to save NINO.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:45 AM   Tweet this Post! #1335
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelord View Post
Write another letter. Don't worry about any necessary redundancy. The more they hear from us the better. It helps drown out The inevitable counter movement to save NINO.
I gotta say it was nice to see all the mentions and questions of Nova and Richard Rider appearing in the GoTG movie yesterday in the QnA with Gunn and the cast.

There's definitely a fan base out there even though Brevoort and company don't want to admit it.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 PM   Tweet this Post! #1336
nova3333
Captain Marvel Class

Speaking of the GOTG film - and yes a trailer that made me smile all day at work -here's a fan art idea of how a Nova Prime suit could look using elements of the Corps design from GOTG and a few other sources. I think it works very well.
Attached Thumbnails
nova_corp_gotg_centurion_uniform_by_dbvinal-d7iy6xw.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 PM   Tweet this Post! #1337
timelord
Quasar Class

Quote:
I gotta say it was nice to see all the mentions and questions of Nova and Richard Rider appearing in the GoTG movie yesterday in the QnA with Gunn and the cast.

There's definitely a fan base out there even though Brevoort and company don't want to admit it.

Is this Q and A recorded, transcribed, posted anywhere?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 PM   Tweet this Post! #1338
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Love this:

Someone commented this on the new Duggan NINO interview:

And the imgur image reply:

Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 AM   Tweet this Post! #1339
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Wow. Marvel is really trying to force NINO down people's throats.

August sees a NINO special for a book that sells barely 20K.

It's five bucks, too.

Unreal.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM   Tweet this Post! #1340
MBond
Nova Centurion

This cover says it all about how desperate Marvel is, IMO. This is NOT some fan art or photoshopped bubble.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:10 PM   Tweet this Post! #1341
MysterioHelmet
Nova Millennian

It's cute and a bit tongue-in-cheek about things.

Leafed through it. It's not a horrible story, TBH.

But....... what the hell does that have to do with a Nova? A Nova (any) is dumb enough to fall asleep and let a little(r) kid grab his helmet and blow a hole through the house wall because he's overexerted himself?

Here's the thing and it's a point that's been made: This is a Nova in Name Only thing. This story has nothing to do with being a Nova and everything to do with being a kid who found this thing and has to do things that kids do.

Sam is generic. He doesn't have to be Nova. His name should be Spacekid or Starburst or Padawan or whatever.
MysterioHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 PM   Tweet this Post! #1342
MBond
Nova Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterioHelmet View Post

Here's the thing and it's a point that's been made: This is a Nova in Name Only thing. This story has nothing to do with being a Nova and everything to do with being a kid who found this thing and has to do things that kids do.

Sam is generic. He doesn't have to be Nova. His name should be Spacekid or Starburst or Padawan or whatever.
Completely agree with this. They could have created a completely new character to give to this kid.

I looked a some basic glossary terms for anything related to Space. Starburst, Afterglow, Blueshift, and Redshift would be pretty good names. Comet isn't being used. They could have even kept the helmet, and modified the costume and colors to match.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 PM   Tweet this Post! #1343
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Is this Q and A recorded, transcribed, posted anywhere?
I haven't transcribed it yet.

It's here:

https://www.facebook.com/guardiansof...91212877660405
Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM   Tweet this Post! #1344
twinkfist
Nova Corpsmen

love that they mentioned ROM. when i was a kid and i was taking skating lessons i remember waiting around reading my ROM comics when i was like 6 or 7.

that was almost 30 years ago but i can still remember the comics.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:35 PM   Tweet this Post! #1345
MysterioHelmet
Nova Millennian

Wanted to put this here first:

Richard Rider has made a deal with Thanos and that's how Thanos got Starlord out of the Cancerverse. Richard did, too. But he has to hold up his side of the bargain which is possibly the fact that he shot the Watcher.

Can't see how they spin it for Rich, a character who'd fight to the end no matter what, is going to concede things to someone like Thanos.

Just saying.....brace for it.
MysterioHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:44 PM   Tweet this Post! #1346
Kalen Rann
Nova Corpsmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterioHelmet View Post
Wanted to put this here first:

Richard Rider has made a deal with Thanos and that's how Thanos got Starlord out of the Cancerverse. Richard did, too. But he has to hold up his side of the bargain which is possibly the fact that he shot the Watcher.

Can't see how they spin it for Rich, a character who'd fight to the end no matter what, is going to concede things to someone like Thanos.

Just saying.....brace for it.
That better not be the case. Seriously these guys do not know anything about the character at all. Rich is the Captain America of space, he'll never give up or make such a deal.

Long live Richard Rider.
Kalen Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:26 PM   Tweet this Post! #1347
timelord
Quasar Class

Bendis said in an interview that he had Rich's Cancerverse story in mind before NINO was even announced or published. Is he telling the truth? Who knows.

If he is being honest, you can bet the story was formed with the mindset at that time.

At the time (and to the present as near as I can tell) - the mindset at Marvel Editorial was/(is) that Rich was a "failed" character and NINO was to be his mega-successful REPLACEMENT. Emphasis on "REPLACEMENT." As in Hal Jordan REPLACING Alan Scott FOREVER as the main human GL (not Kyle Rayner replacing Hal until a better writer came along and brought the better character, Hal, back). Never mind that mega-success has been elusive - they're still giving it a mighty try.

Chances are, Bendis will tell the tale of Rich's brave (and retconned - since DnA maintained they merely temporarily marooned Rich) death. Remember the BS spin from Alonso, Brevoort, Loeb about Rich's hero's death being "too special" to undo? Sound like a telegraph of their story intentions to you? Yeah - me too. (I'd still like for them to own up to the logical next question as to why Thanos', SL's, and Drax's same event/same cause/ same death were not so special - in other words, to admit that their explanation for creating NINO was a BS strategy to try to appease any easily appeased Rider Nova fans).

Add to that their doubling-down on NINO with guest starrings, cross-overs, variants, merchandise, headlining specials, etc. - and the chances of Rich being brought back in a satisfying way are slim indeed. They are pulling out all the stops to make NINO a success.

NINO isn't going anywhere unless it is an unmitigated failure - and by that I mean selling less than 14K. And even then, they'll probably re-boot it in the speculated reboot coming up next year. Loeb wants to make NINO into a Disney kiddie movie just like Spy Kids and other such puerile trash. He wants their to be a ready made fan base when he makes his pitch - if he hasn't pitched it already.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong. And if I am, I'll admit it right here when it is apparent I was wrong.

But again - the only possible path to Rich returning in any way that we might like is for NINO to fail, the GotG movie to be a hit, and for interest in cosmic to peak with Marvel scrambling to dust off the Nova Corps and fly it because it was featured in the movie.

I think the best we can hope for is Bendis leaves Rich marooned. If they do bring him back, he'll just be humiliated by playing second-fiddle to NINO. Anybody here want THAT kind of humiliation of our favorite character? Not me.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 AM   Tweet this Post! #1348
timelord
Quasar Class

Quote:
I haven't transcribed it yet.

It's here:

https://www.facebook.com/guardiansof...91212877660405

A few questions about Rich but they didn't answer them. Lot's of praise for DnA's version of GotG. Not a mention of Bendis' GotGINO. No praise for Bendis either. That speaks volumes. And only one fool asking if Rocket will be shouting Bendis' stupid catch-phrases in the movie. Gunn ignored that question too.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM   Tweet this Post! #1349
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
A few questions about Rich but they didn't answer them. Lot's of praise for DnA's version of GotG. Not a mention of Bendis' GotGINO. No praise for Bendis either. That speaks volumes. And only one fool asking if Rocket will be shouting Bendis' stupid catch-phrases in the movie. Gunn ignored that question too.
Yeah, Gunn has only commented once on NINO (I believe) when he laughed it off and said no to having the Black Nova Corps in the movie.

He's gotta be well aware of the Rider vs. NINO situation just as he is about DnA and Bendis.

I bet that ticks of Alonso, Brevoort and whatever other jokers went forward with the psuedo-cosmic Bendis and Loeb crap.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:08 PM   Tweet this Post! #1350
timelord
Quasar Class

Quote:
Yeah, Gunn has only commented once on NINO (I believe) when he laughed it off and said no to having the Black Nova Corps in the movie.

He's gotta be well aware of the Rider vs. NINO situation just as he is about DnA and Bendis.

I bet that ticks of Alonso, Brevoort and whatever other jokers went forward with the psuedo-cosmic Bendis and Loeb crap.
Yeah - they thought they'd bring in Bendis, Loeb, et al and they would make cosmic a best seller. Instead, all they've done is run it into the ground. I can't wait until they give Star Wars to Bendis. If they think we burned him - just wait until the SW fanatics used to the royal treatment given them by Darkhorse get the no frills treatment Marvel is likely to give them. Heh-heh. They'll give Bendis the worst flaying that's been given since Theon Greyjoy's (shout-out to Game of Thrones fans!).

The movie made GotGINO a good (but not a best) seller and even Brevoort has admitted that in a rare moment of honesty. It speaks volumes that Gunn et al are NOT trying to draw attention to the current run of the comic and keep focusing on DnA's run. They know that GotGINO is no good and they want to assure the fans that their movie is based on DnA's innovative and best - not Bendis' generic and worst.