CosmicBookNews.com   

Go Back   Cosmic Book News Forums > Comics, Movies, TV, Gaming and more > Marvel Cosmic and more
Connect with Facebook

Marvel Cosmic and more Annihilators, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Thor, FF, and all things Marvel - discuss here!

Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM   Tweet this Post! #1
AndrewO

Default Guardians of the Galaxy Discussion Thread

I don't know if its going to work better to have a thread for each specific issue of a series, or one thread for the whole series.

From what I've seen, threads seem a little livelier in the beginning when there is one thread per series. But as a community grows, volume conversation eventually almost forces you to transition to a thread for each specific issue.

In any case, for now -- to get the ball rolling....
Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM   Tweet this Post! #2
AndrewO

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy [2008] discussion thread ((spoilers))

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #6

By: Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning, Paul Pelletier, Clint Langley
Pub. Date: October 15, 2008

A SECRET INVASION TIE-IN!

Trapped on Knowhere, the Guardians desperately race to uncover their Skrull infiltration. But why are the Skrulls in the Guardians' bizarre HQ, and what exactly are they up to? And even if the Guardians survive the danger, paranoia and intrigue, will the team itself be in one piece after all the cards are laid bare?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 PM   Tweet this Post! #3
AndrewO

There is a lot I'm looking forward to with this issue.

--What is going on with Drax? He's been acting strangely since this storyline began. This could be the issue where we finally find out why.
--Is Cosmo [the talking Russian dog] truly a bad guy? A Skrull or Skrull agent? Is that a ruse? Are there any other Skrull reveals coming up?
--Major Victory versus Starhawk? Covers don't always fit the actual story, but the promos for this issue show both these mystery beings [beings - since Starhawk's gender seems to change] locked in battle. I am interested in both of them. And they are the characters who tie this series in with the original team.
--Finally, I just enjoy any issue with Starlord, Groot and Rocket Racoon in it.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 PM   Tweet this Post! #4
Rick

The Hawk God permanently separated Stakar from Aleta so there shouldn't be anymore gender issues LOL.
Was Moondragon a Skrull? Would explain the shape-shifting to a dragon? Probably not huh?
I don't think Drax is a skrull but who knows.
If Cosmo is a skrull I will be sad.
If Major Victory was a skrull surely Stakar "the one who knows" would know that unless he himself is a skrull?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:40 PM   Tweet this Post! #5
AndrewO

There shouldn't be any gender issues. But apparently the future reality from which this latest Starhawk comes from has been shifting. So we saw a male Starhawk when he debuted. But Starhawk was a female in the most recent GoG appearance.

PS The reason I lean towards there being more to the situation than meets the eye with Cosmo, is because I find it hard to believe they would be willing to do away with him as a supporting cast member. Not impossible, but still hard to believe.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 PM   Tweet this Post! #6
Satyrquaze

Cosmo is pretty fun and easy to like, I think theres an issue between him and the Skrull that hasn't been revealed quite yet.

I am definately picking this one up! Also I can't wait until they start dealing with the reborn Quasar in that book.
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM   Tweet this Post! #7
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewO
But Starhawk was a female in the most recent GoG appearance.
Where was this and how did I miss that
Old 10-15-2008, 01:20 PM   Tweet this Post! #8
Satyrquaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Where was this and how did I miss that
Issue #4
Old 10-15-2008, 02:22 PM   Tweet this Post! #9
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrquaze
Issue #4
Just looked through the issue and he looked male in every caption I saw. What am I missing?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM   Tweet this Post! #10
Rick

Nevermind, it was issue 5 and I just read it.
Holy moley!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a great issue.
So the future is in flux and that explains Starhawk's change.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM   Tweet this Post! #11
Satyrquaze

Quote:
Nevermind, it was issue 5 and I just read it.
Holy moley!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a great issue.
So the future is in flux and that explains Starhawk's change.
okay, you got me. missed the issue by one.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 PM   Tweet this Post! #12
Rick

Quote:
okay, you got me. missed the issue by one.
Hahah, it's all good bro.

Speaking of Stakar:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5.../shinyfull.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...aid/shiny2.jpg
Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 PM   Tweet this Post! #13
AndrewO

I'm sorry I missed the Starhawk question earlier. I was logged in, but nowhere near the computer for most of the day.

In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed issue. An interesting twist on things isn't it?

I know some people are displeased that the Guardians of the galaxy label is on anything that isn't the original article. I can sympathize with that. But for now at least, hopefully the Major Victory/Starhawk plotline is something they are happy about.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 PM   Tweet this Post! #14
Rick

Quote:
I'm sorry I missed the Starhawk question earlier. I was logged in, but nowhere near the computer for most of the day.

In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed issue. An interesting twist on things isn't it?

I know some people are displeased that the Guardians of the galaxy label is on anything that isn't the original article. I can sympathize with that. But for now at least, hopefully the Major Victory/Starhawk plotline is something they are happy about.
I loved the original Guardians team. The jury is still out on this new one for me.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 AM   Tweet this Post! #15
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

I think there is going to be some kind of alternate reality effect that causes part of the team to die or something for a few issues and then returns when the timeline is corrected. The Starhawk man/woman time shift, I thought, foreshadowed that.

Regarding, Cosmo, weren't his eye glowing green at the end of the issue? Personally, I do not think he is a skrull and think the ones that he is protecting are just hiding or running away.

I've actually enjoyed the last couple issues.
stingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 AM   Tweet this Post! #16
Rick

New Guardians Cover

It's interesting who is missing from that pic no?
I never even considered Groot being a Skrull. Perhaps?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 AM   Tweet this Post! #17
Satyrquaze

I'm liking the characterizations with the possible exception of Phyla. She seems to be going from lesbian to having a bit of a crush on Adam Warlock. Its looking like shes not even sure of herself, of who she is. Hey, maybe shes omnisexual, that might be interesting if the editors/readers approve. She's more his sidekick than being a hero in her own right.

I still have to pick up #6, I cannot wait until word reaches Phyla that Wendell is back.

On the subject of the time shift, Starhawk *did* say that time was in flux...
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM   Tweet this Post! #18
AndrewO

Quote:
New Guardians Cover

Mantis isn't there either, and there's still the question of who was in the coccoon the Church had in its possession.

I've been waiting for a full fledged Groot return. [Which just goes to show how a great mini series can make me a fan of a previously obscure character]
Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 PM   Tweet this Post! #19
AndrewO

Quote:
I'm liking the characterizations with the possible exception of Phyla. She seems to be going from lesbian to having a bit of a crush on Adam Warlock. Its looking like shes not even sure of herself, of who she is. Hey, maybe shes omnisexual, that might be interesting if the editors/readers approve. She's more his sidekick than being a hero in her own right.

I still have to pick up #6, I cannot wait until word reaches Phyla that Wendell is back.

On the subject of the time shift, Starhawk *did* say that time was in flux...
I don't think there is really any consistency to Phyla. Granted, I may have missed out on some character development in her mini series, but I doubt it.

I believe its some of her fans who have seized upon that aspect of her personality [her sexuality] as the driving force behind their fandom and the defining characteristic of who she is. However, it was not that way when she debuted. It was an unexpected plot twist at the end of Genis-Vell's second ongoing series.

Aside from the relationship with Moondragon, we saw an almost completely different character [in terms of personality] in Annihilation.

Now in Guardians of the Galaxy, she seems to be someone else yet again.

[Since I'm not being nasty about it, nothing I say here ought to qualify as "Negative Zone" material]

While Phyla is physically an adult, emotionally she is still a child. So it makes sense that there would be drastic and frequent changes in her personality. Most of us look for different things in a partner as we mature. Plus, while it was clear that Phyla was attracted to Moondragon, it was never established that she was exclusively drawn to females.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 PM   Tweet this Post! #20
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
New Guardians Cover

I think that may be the Jim Valentino variant- which is a take on the original #1 issue -

Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM   Tweet this Post! #21
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingerman
I think that may be the Jim Valentino variant- which is a take on the original #1 issue -
Oh my stars and garters so it is!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 PM   Tweet this Post! #22
AndrewO

Excellent catch, stingerman!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:06 PM   Tweet this Post! #23
Satyrquaze

Quote:

Nice Homage to his own work.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:47 PM   Tweet this Post! #24
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Excellent catch, stingerman!
I wish I could take the credit. I think someone at another board mentioned it, first.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:58 AM   Tweet this Post! #25
Satyrquaze

Hey, now that the Guardians have disbanded... what do we think that means for Quasar and Phy-Sar?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 AM   Tweet this Post! #26
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Hey, now that the Guardians have disbanded... what do we think that means for Quasar and Phy-Sar?
Yeah, I picked up issue 6 and was disappointed. DnA said "they all die" -- well not really!

But, it did turn out ok. I know Phyla is going over to She-Hulk cosmic collision for an appearance or whatever.

I bet they will get back together for War of Kings. Which begs the question - what role are they going to serve?

It kinda sounds like WoK is going to be about a huge battle over space territory or something, so who is the GoTG going to side with? -- and Nova? -- And Quasar!?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:24 PM   Tweet this Post! #27
Rick

Quote:
Yeah, I picked up issue 6 and was disappointed. DnA said "they all die" -- well not really!

But, it did turn out ok. I know Phyla is going over to She-Hulk cosmic collision for an appearance or whatever.

I bet they will get back together for War of Kings. Which begs the question - what role are they going to serve?

It kinda sounds like WoK is going to be about a huge battle over space territory or something, so who is the GoTG going to side with? -- and Nova? -- And Quasar!?
If Stakar is sticking around then I imagine he will steer the team in the direction where he can foresee the most good happening ultimately. Which could mean you can tolerate some bad now in order to reach the good later. Who knows?

Oh yeah...Starhawk does LOL
Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 PM   Tweet this Post! #28
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
If Stakar is sticking around then I imagine he will steer the team in the direction where he can foresee the most good happening ultimately. Which could mean you can tolerate some bad now in order to reach the good later. Who knows?

Oh yeah...Starhawk does LOL
Yeah, that little evil smile at the end was real suspicious! I would rather him take out Warlock, I think.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:40 AM   Tweet this Post! #29
Satyrquaze

Quote:
Yeah, that little evil smile at the end was real suspicious! I would rather him take out Warlock, I think.
I was just a bit suspicious... here's hoping they at least nod to Starhawk's parentage.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM   Tweet this Post! #30
AndrewO

I finally got around to reading this issue. [I had to will myself to put aside my Golden Age project]

First off, great twist. The whole Skrull pacifist angle was unexpected and I like it when alien races get developed to the point where they become complex enough to have different points of view. Its happened before for the Skrulls, but then tends to get forgotten as with the Skrull mutants.

In any case, one big question was answered. Cosmo is still on the side of the angels.

There was one moment in the issue that made me cringe - one name really. Cammi. I was perfectly happy for her to have faded into limbo. But it looks like she might be on the way back. The positive side to her return wouldbe that sheseems to add a level of depth to Drax. So for that reason, I'd be okay with that.

On another note, we're going to have to wait longer to get more info on the whole alternate reality/Starhawk/Major Victory business. It does seem that they will be taking this issue head on next issue, so I am really looking forward to that. Plus they don't seem to be dragging it out too long because advance promos show them as seemingly having moved on to a new storyline by the time War of Kings kicks off. For those [elsewhere] worried about a changing lineup on this team, if this issue didn't ease their fears, then the next one will. A very good reason for a new lineup, and betteryet - a temporary one.

Finally, two last character notes. I am hoping to see a little more of an edge to Peter Quill. I am a bit worried that he's being softened a little too much for the sake of comedy. His reaction to being exposed for tinkering with his teammates heads seeemd to lack some of the cold pragamatism he had in his Annihilation appearances and in his mini series. Its not a major problem, but could develop into one. Maybe when he and the team inevitably make some form of truce, we will see a bit more of the familiar Quill again.

The second note is about Phyla. I couldn't help but notice that yet again there are no references to her as Quasar in story. It happens so rarely, that I am pretty sure the odds are she is going to give that name back to its rightful owner in the near future. No guarantees, but hopes are high.

[I am going to read the other responses here now. So if there seems like any odd duplication of what some of you wrote, thats because i wanted my impression to be pure, and not influenced by what anyone else had written]