CosmicBookNews.com   

Go Back   Cosmic Book News Forums > Comics, Movies, TV, Gaming and more > Marvel Cosmic and more
Connect with Facebook

Marvel Cosmic and more Annihilators, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Thor, FF, and all things Marvel - discuss here!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 AM   Tweet this Post! #1
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Defenders Discussion Thread

Hulk #10 - Preview (Surfer, Defenders vs Offenders) CosmicBookNews.com

- Twitter
cosmicbooknews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 AM   Tweet this Post! #2
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Default Re: Hulk #10 - Preview (Surfer, Defenders vs Offenders) CosmicBookNews.com

This series has gotten a lot of heat across various message boards.

I have every issue.

It's just so dang fun and such a welcome escape for me. The art is really sweet, granted the writing is for a 4 year old, but sometimes that ain't all that bad! The mystery surrounding the Rulk is kinda interesting plus we get Grulk and Old Greenskin, so as a hulk fan I am happy.

Clobberfest every issue, I'll take it.
stingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 AM   Tweet this Post! #3
Captain Marvel Class

Default Re: Hulk #10 - Preview (Surfer, Defenders vs Offenders) CosmicBookNews.com

Man, I'd seen this cover teased on a Joe Friday, i think... I'm an old school Defenders fan... this looks interesting. Haven't really been following the title... Red Hulk, huh?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 AM   Tweet this Post! #4
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLuoma
Man, I'd seen this cover teased on a Joe Friday, i think... I'm an old school Defenders fan... this looks interesting. Haven't really been following the title... Red Hulk, huh?
Rulk as he is known!

After WWH Bruce was locked up underground and it was revealed that Ross and Samson helped make *someone* to be Rulk. I think it was supposed to be revealed by issue 6 but they decided to keep everyone guessing.

The book is a lotta fun, sorta the way when you were a young kid and read a comic, that sorta feeling. At least for me it is.

Though regarding continuity I have no idea where this stands.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:28 PM   Tweet this Post! #5
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Defenders (Fraction and Dodson) Discussion Thread

SDCC 2011: Marvel Announces 'Defenders' by Fraction and Dodson "a cosmic conspiracy"

- Twitter
Old 07-24-2011, 05:46 PM   Tweet this Post! #6
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Re: SDCC 2011: Marvel Announces 'Defenders' by Fraction and Dodson "a cosmic conspiracy"

SDCC 2011: And the world still needs -- The Defenders!

- Twitter
Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 AM   Tweet this Post! #7
Norch

Default Re: SDCC 2011: Marvel Announces 'Defenders' by Fraction and Dodson "a cosmic conspiracy"

I'm very excited for this, for the Defenders!
One of the best teams ever! And the new line up is awesome! I hope it isn't too much of a non-team and certain characters are locked in for good other whys you never get to build a rapport with the characters in the story (in that particular context) and the book starts to lack.

I think Fraction is a great writer I just haven't found his stuff of late very good. He tends to go for this more realistic dialogue, which is cool and works well sometimes but is only suited in certain places. I'm hoping that's not the case with this book because it is the Defenders and big concepts and cosmic hijinx should ensue. Also, Fear Itself has been average in my eyes so I'm hoping this book makes up for it.

Anyway, small concerns, but yeah, looking forward to this!! It's been a long time coming.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 PM   Tweet this Post! #8
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

I'm not a big Fraction fan either, but his Mighty Thor has been pretty frickin' sweet! Surfer is awesome in it.

I think they said The Defenders will have Strange, Surfer, Red She-Hulk, Namor and Iron Fist as regulars with more coming on depending on the situation.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:20 AM   Tweet this Post! #9
Norch

His Mighty Thor series is ok. Some of it feels a bit too down to earth, like that pointless crap with the Broxton Church, and then other parts seem a bit too melodramatic, like the Surfer calling Thor "little asgardian" and saying he has a "little hammer" and that crap about "bad black days and blacker nights." prfft! Spare me! Who talks like that? And when has the Surfer ever spoken like that? Never. Even on the Asgardians that over the top half-lamed Shakespearean speech is a so annoying. I thought the new direction Thor was taking was beyond that. It sounds like the writer and not the character.

Also, the story isn't very believable. As if Galactus couldn't just take the seed from Odin. Why bother even asking? I think something that eats planets and has been around since before the beginning of this universe would just do whatever he wants and why would he show any respect towards Odin? Plus, Odin is a jerk! Yeah, the story makes no sense to me. Hopefully, the story picks up in the final leg of this arc.

The art, however, is amazing, 10/10 every issue. That scene with Surfer sitting on his board giving Galactus the news while Galactus chills out, sitting on the moon, next to the American flag was gold! haahahaha! And that's the best Surfer I have ever seen. Great homage to Kirby.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:14 PM   Tweet this Post! #10
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norch View Post
As if Galactus couldn't just take the seed from Odin. Why bother even asking? [
I think you might be underestimating Odin's power or Marvel is looking to really make Odin to be a powerhouse.

Fraction goes into this in #4.

I'm lovin' it!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:19 PM   Tweet this Post! #11
dpfeif
Darkhawk Class

"Defenders" may be what we have to substitute in place of a new GotG for our cosmic fix. Then, of course, Marvel will cancel THAT, and we'll have another book to complain to Brevoort about; I think he just likes the attention .
dpfeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM   Tweet this Post! #12
Norch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfeif View Post
"Defenders" may be what we have to substitute in place of a new GotG for our cosmic fix. Then, of course, Marvel will cancel THAT, and we'll have another book to complain to Brevoort about; I think he just likes the attention .
I think this one will be kept around for a while if it sells well, which I'm assuming it will because it is Earth-based cosmic and has Iron Fist, Hulk, Strange and Surfer in it. Plus Fraction and Dodson are really popular, so yeah, I think this will be round for a while.

The below ign.com link has some more info on the book and what we can expect
http://au.comics.ign.com/articles/118/1184070p1.html
Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM   Tweet this Post! #13
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Marvel Comics Preview: First Look At Defenders #1

Marvel Comics Preview: First Look At Defenders #1

- Twitter
Old 10-06-2011, 06:45 PM   Tweet this Post! #14
myuserid
Death Star Escapee

Looks pretty good.

I liked Dodson's work with Fraction on Uncanny.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 AM   Tweet this Post! #15
Moose100

Lightbulb Will you Be getting DEFENDERS??(Or why I think it's cosmic!!)

I am excited as a COSMIC fan at the prospect of The Defenders . Fraction refers to it a s a 'grand unification theory' of the MU. It will seek to explain why the MU is what it is. I think part of this has a cosmic slant to it that can't be ignored.

One thing I really hope to see and think we will see is a strong reference to Thor Annual #10. Which imo is a big piece in explaining the MU. It essentially tells the story of the genesis of Asgard and Midgard. I think Fraction had to have been using this as well in his writings in Thor.

Secondly, Fraction also mentioned Celestials that were also heavily involved in Thor. I think we need to pay attention to this book. I know there are some here that don't like Fraction, but something about this book feels vital and may be a reason why the Cosmics went on hiatus for so long.

Will YOU be getting Defenders??
Old 10-26-2011, 02:54 PM   Tweet this Post! #16
myuserid
Death Star Escapee

Default Re: Defenders (Fraction and Dodson) Discussion Thread

I look forward to checking this one out.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 PM   Tweet this Post! #17
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Default Re: Will you Be getting DEFENDERS??(Or why I think it's cosmic!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose100 View Post
Will YOU be getting Defenders??
I'll definitely be trying this out.

But if it turns out to be the typical Fraction decompressed BS -- I'm out.

That's why I don't read any of his stuff, and I was a big IM fan at one point, too.

FI wasn't bad.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM   Tweet this Post! #18
freddy1428

the work of Fraction about Iron Fist was simply amazing...probably the best Iron Fist story since the creation of the character...it was more or less the same kind of treatment that for Annihilation...and I'm really happy to see him works again with Iron Fist.

For the rest of his works, I have found his Thor good and FI was correct, I don't see why he have all this hates in board....I can't wait to see his defenders, that sound very good and I'm glad that an author remember that Dr Strange is an amazing martial artist.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM   Tweet this Post! #19
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy1428 View Post
the work of Fraction about Iron Fist was simply amazing...probably the best Iron Fist story since the creation of the character...it was more or less the same kind of treatment that for Annihilation...and I'm really happy to see him works again with Iron Fist.

For the rest of his works, I have found his Thor good and FI was correct, I don't see why he have all this hates in board....I can't wait to see his defenders, that sound very good and I'm glad that an author remember that Dr Strange is an amazing martial artist.
Guess, you haven't read Fractions IM, then.

To be fair, I haven't read his Iron Fist. I'm not a big fan of martial arts in comics because it never carries over well, imo.

Oh, I did like his Mighty Thor, though it was sort of a rehash of Galactus wanting the Old Power, I thought. And the Surfer getting depowered bit has been done to death -- and just done in the previous Surfer mini by Pak.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:28 PM   Tweet this Post! #20
freddy1428

No, I don't have read his IM, that don't sound really good...apparently, his x-men was not very good too.

I really like Martial art comics (movies too) and I think in comics they have done a very good job (I'm a big fan of Gulacy/Moench Shang Chi)...but it's clear that not everybody is a fan of the genre in comicbooks (some of my friends have the same opinion that you)...it's for that I'm happy with this Defenders and Secret Avengers, because of the Martial arts theme...

Except that, I'm agree with you, I have like his Mighty Thor, but I have hated some aspect in the end, specially about the Silver Surfer and the new Herald, apparently Fraction don't seem aware that Galactus have Stardust like an herald too (but maybe it's not really important in the context of this story)...

I don't say that he is an incredible writer, he have clearly some problems in his works, but I don't agree with all the hates about this man...this Defenders seem to let an important places for the Mysticals and Martial arts, he have clearly showed that he could be more than competent in this genre.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM   Tweet this Post! #21
Wonder Worlock
Captain Marvel Class

These new Defenders are going to be great, with a bit of the taste of the 1970s which is always a fine thing!

Look for a special BREWER REPORT soon on CBN's Home Page which takes a gander at the locale of the Defenders' first arc: the mysterious Wundagore Mountain ... just outside Transia. Hope you dig it!
Wonder Worlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 PM   Tweet this Post! #22
myuserid
Death Star Escapee

Fraction's World's Most Wanted arc in Iron Man was awesome.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 AM   Tweet this Post! #23
Norch

Fraction's Iron Fist was awesome. Yes, it's definitely a Marvel modern classic.

His Iron Man is less desirable. I think there have been some good points but for the most part it's quite stale in comic terms. It's lost a lot of what makes Iron Man fun. I mean the core shellhead concepts are present but they've been deconstructed to the point of, 'get on with it.' They need to get to the pay off quicker. Oh and interrupted by events. The book drags on. It suffering from annoying deconstruction techniques (not Bendis bad, but annoying). And yeah, it's a friggin super hero book, which means it needs super villains. It severely lacks a good super villain threat, which really makes it drop in worthiness. And Fraction totally retconned Mandarin from bad ass to old skool, cliche-businessy-ass-monkey.

I'm excited for his Defenders. I know he can be a good writer. I'm looking forward to Defenders because a) Defenders are flarkin cool and this new team looks totally awesome, Dodson has made Strange's costume so sick! And the rest of the team works well. b) Cosmic side of things sounds really interesting. I mean of course it does to us right. The Celestials, the MU mystery of the universe thing, the whole sh-bang sounds great. I'm just hoping Fraction can handle a big cosmic story because Mighty Thor sucks bad. I mean he had Thor hitting Galactus and Odin was capable of getting inside Galactus' mind. NO. So, fkin NO. I mean that's so not possible. Not even Hulk can take on Galactus why would Thor be capable of it? Odin is powerful but he ain't that friggin powerful. Galactus can take on Celestials. I mean do the friggin-fictional math. For me when things break the fictional-rules just so the writer can get a popcorn moment it totally ruins the book for me and makes me automatically go, ok, this is going in the forget it ever happened corner of the comic world (like some of John Byrne's stuff).

Anyway, I'm hoping Defenders doesn't get too stupid and wreck or impose on the cosmic foundation of the MU and doesn't do stupid things like having Iron Fist punch out a Celestial. So, yeah, this book has a lot of potential, I just hope Fraction can deliver. Also, not hating on the guy I'm just being totally truthful and voicing my concerns. I just don't want him to flark up the cosmic side of things. Cause lately his stuff has been ugh...Fear Itself was meh and Iron Man and Mighty Thor have sucked, lately. So, yeah...

Also, Dodson has total respect and props from me because that guy is one of the most amazing artists I've ever seen.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:56 AM   Tweet this Post! #24
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Marvel Reveals Defenders #1 Doctor Strange Immonen Variant

- Twitter
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM   Tweet this Post! #25
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default The Brewer Report: Defenders: Wundagore Mountain

The Brewer Report: Defenders: Wundagore Mountain

- Twitter
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM   Tweet this Post! #26
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Read The Defenders/Avengers X-Sanction Sketch Book For Free

Read The Defenders/Avengers X-Sanction Sketch Book For Free

- Twitter
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM   Tweet this Post! #27
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default Review: The Defenders #1 (Fraction & Dodson)

Review: The Defenders #1 (Fraction & Dodson)

- Twitter
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 PM   Tweet this Post! #28
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Review #2: The Defenders (by M.E. Byron Brewer)

- Twitter
Old 12-08-2011, 01:52 AM   Tweet this Post! #29
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default The Brewer Report: Matt Fraction's Defenders: Who is Prestor John?

The Brewer Report: Matt Fraction's Defenders: Who is Prestor John?

- Twitter
Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 AM   Tweet this Post! #30
Norch

Just read this issue, it was really good. A lot of fun. I'm a big fan already. Great concept, great team, great artwork, and written well. Awesome to see someone utilise Surfer's control over his own and his board's molecular structure in cool and funny ways. The characterization for everyone and their interactions with one another was pretty good. I was surprised by the amount of stuff that happened with this issue, you know, with the team coming together and all. We got background on each player, the mission stake and a glimpse of things to come, so yeah the issue feels like a good, solid read. And it was hilarious how Iron Fist was reading an old skool MarvelMan comic. Possibly, another clue of things to come? Can't wait for the next one.