CosmicBookNews.com   

Go Back   Cosmic Book News Forums > Comics, Movies, TV, Gaming and more > Marvel Cosmic and more
Connect with Facebook

Marvel Cosmic and more Annihilators, Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Thor, FF, and all things Marvel - discuss here!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:04 PM   Tweet this Post! #1
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Default NEW NINO NOVA (several Centurian) and Guardians

I was just getting ready to post that I saw the new Nova and Guardians over at CBR, when I returned to this forum and found that I was just beat.

Interesting that we see various Nova Centurians. And the little guy doesn't seem as little or as young. Will Richard be popping up at some time.

And who is the Iron Guy in Guardians?

I will give both a read.

Jimmy
40yearoldNovafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 PM   Tweet this Post! #2
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Default Re: NEW NOVA (several Centurian) and Guardians

Ouch - I just read "Sam Alexander is the New Nova." SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS!!!

I was still hoping this kid would turn out to be Rich, who returns to his own body.

Thanks, Marvel.

Jimmy
Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM   Tweet this Post! #3
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Hopefully, Rich is not in that Iron-man armor.

Gamora's outfit - I hope that is only when she is in an environment where she cannot breathe.

I'm glad to see new Nova Centurians - but it would be great to find out where Rich fits.

COME ON MARVEL - don't just dump a character many of us grew up with and act like he didn't exist. For us, that is like saying someone else is the new Spiderman, Iron-man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America (oops, oops, oops, oops, oops) Cyclops, Phoenix (oops), and so on. BUT THE DIFFERENCE IS, we knew the other replacements would not last forever. With Marvel's history with Richard Rider - with Rich not being considered a primary/important Marvel personality, WE DO NOT KNOW IF HE WILL EVER COME BACK.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:02 PM   Tweet this Post! #4
freddy1428

Jimmy I think this guy is Rich:

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/ima...ccmarvel/?p=23

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/ima...ccmarvel/?p=24

If you look the art, he seem lot older that the Nova kid and have a little beard...for me it's clear that this guy is different, and is not this young teenager:

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/ima...ccmarvel/?p=21

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/ima...ccmarvel/?p=22
Old 10-13-2012, 09:15 PM   Tweet this Post! #5
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy1428 View Post
Jimmy I think this guy is Rich:

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/ima...ccmarvel/?p=23

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/ima...ccmarvel/?p=24

If you look the art, he seem lot older that the Nova kid and have a little beard...for me it's clear that this guy is different, and is not this young teenager:

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/ima...ccmarvel/?p=21

http://comics.cosmicbooknews.com/ima...ccmarvel/?p=22
If it is, then I believe it is Rich from a different universe or dimension. And it appears he knows he is going to die or get trapped. It appears he threw a bag to Rocket and Gamora, which probably has a helmet in it. They are to deliver the new helmet to someone worthy, I'm thinking.

Which may answer where Peter Quill came from. He, Gamora, and the Rocket we see in the new Guardians book are not from our Galaxy.

Lastly, look at the Nova Corps members. One seems to be "Bug", from Guardians of the Galaxy. I could be wrong on that one (actually on everything I am thinking). But some of the other Corpsman may be other dimension copies of the ones Rich was training.

I think this is a different dimension.

Jimmy
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 PM   Tweet this Post! #6
dpfeif
Darkhawk Class

Did Bug have 4 arms or 2? I thought he had 2, but that Centurion looks like he has 4.
dpfeif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:36 AM   Tweet this Post! #7
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfeif View Post
Did Bug have 4 arms or 2? I thought he had 2, but that Centurion looks like he has 4.
Bug only had two. But I was stretching my different dimension theory. Remember, CycloPhoenix said the new Nova did not even belong here (AvX #12).
Old 10-14-2012, 12:37 AM   Tweet this Post! #8
40yearoldNovafan
Herald Of Galactus

It seems Loeb is not really a fan of Nova, even though that is what was said in the article. He seems to be more a fan of the concept of the Corps. That is like saying I am a fan of Captain America, but don't care whether or not Steve Rogers is wearing the red, white and blue.

Actually, I take that back. Loeb probably did love the orignal Nova series, and its ideas. Shoot, he is copying it to a "t." He is giving the power to a kid who has to learn to use it all his own. Family will be a strong thread, just like Richards was. He will be fighting Diamondhead. Shoot, if this Nova survives a year, we will probably see his own version of Annihilation in an annual, or something.

Jimmy
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 AM   Tweet this Post! #9
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

If that is Rich in that one pic with the stubble they messed up the helmet as it's not Nova Prime.

Again.

Hopefully this new kid Nova gets sent to Avengers Arena.
stingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 AM   Tweet this Post! #10
freddy1428

I think Nova maybe will don't die, and simply that this kid Nova will be present in Earth to protect this place....This Nova and his centurions seem to be in War in the cosmos, he have probably don't time to comeback in earth, and asked Rocked to find a new Young Nova.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 AM   Tweet this Post! #11
nova3333
Captain Marvel Class

Taking into account what Dark Phoenix glimpsed from NINO's mind in AVX12 - I tend to agree more than ever with the alt-universe theory and seeing these opening pages by Ed pretty much ratify's that. We're dealing here with a different Nova Corps and a different Rich Rider leading them - cause even though you don't recognize the uniform as Nova Prime - stands to reason the design will be different. He gets killed and as Jimmy points out the helmet gets tossed somehow to Nino - who somehow ends up in the 616.

The one thing with this scenario is that as far as our Rich is concerned - he's still in limbo - so when Marvel do wake up and realize what a das't flark up they've made when new Nova readers realize what a pale imitation the newbie is compared to the classic one. Bad news would be that Marvel - ever watching the dollars - will also realize that they could make a absolute crash with the GOTL film - esp if the Nova that crops up there - if he or the Nova Corps do make an appearance - is Nino as well.

I'll probably pick up Guardians - as having Iron Man on the team does make a lot of sense - but Nova itself - even though I do like Ed's work - I'm still resisting the effort to commit. For now I'll get my Rich fix with Nova619.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 AM   Tweet this Post! #12
nova3333
Captain Marvel Class

Copy of my response on the Marvel forum at the site that can't be mentioned. For the record - so far since the news was released - it's a big thumbs down for NINO but 40/60 for GOTG.

"The sure fire way that Classic Nova fans will show their displeasure and disinterest - and believe me the storm clouds in the Nova camp have been billowing furiously for some time now - in the new Nova is very simple. They'll not buy one single issue. When Nova's last series debuted under Dna - many did their utmost by buying three or more copies - and the sales figures - not exactly at the same level for the likes of the FF, Avengers and multiple X-titles were reasonable for the fan base.

Here through Marvel and Loeb primarily are doing their best to rip apart an established fan-base - and substitute it with a flimsy carbon-copy that will only have appeal to those who follow the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon show. Fans don't want to see a watered down - regurgitated version - taking some of the concepts and doing it as a memorial. They want the real deal. And nothing else.

I do plan to give GOTG a go - but as for Nova - well at the moment I'm resisting to spend a penny on it and I never though I'd ever type that in any forum. The only way things could go forward on a more positive note is have 2 Nova titles - one for NINO - one for the original - and if that did have a flying pig's chance of happening - I wonder which one would sell the best?"
Old 10-14-2012, 08:35 AM   Tweet this Post! #13
freddy1428

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearoldNovafan View Post
If it is, then I believe it is Rich from a different universe or dimension. And it appears he knows he is going to die or get trapped. It appears he threw a bag to Rocket and Gamora, which probably has a helmet in it. They are to deliver the new helmet to someone worthy, I'm thinking.

Which may answer where Peter Quill came from. He, Gamora, and the Rocket we see in the new Guardians book are not from our Galaxy.

Lastly, look at the Nova Corps members. One seems to be "Bug", from Guardians of the Galaxy. I could be wrong on that one (actually on everything I am thinking). But some of the other Corpsman may be other dimension copies of the ones Rich was training.

I think this is a different dimension.

Jimmy
No I don't think, Gamora and Rocket seem to be in jail, the bag seem to have their weapons, because in the next panel, you have Rocket with the fire weapons....

I really think Rich will be in space for to built the Nova Corps and Kid Nova will be in earth.

@nova3333, Rich is no more in limbo, he is probably the guy with this beard who seem to be really to be the boss among the other Corps and we have for the moment absolutely no proof that he is from another dimension, they seem to be the same Nova who know Gamora and Rocket., and he look like a veteran in the previews, and that, I really like it (unlike the "superhero" version of DnA).
Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 AM   Tweet this Post! #14
timelord
Quasar Class

I think Jimmy's right. It is an alternate universe Nova Corps and Sam Alexander is also from an alternate universe. That's been hinted at from the first Point One Nova digital comic and we've all speculated that from the start. Likely, the GotG we're seeing are also alternate universe versions. Don't know why this is such a big secret but I guess this is Marvel's way of preserving the originals and trying something new with the characters in an attempt to garner mass market comic appeal and get sales for these books above the cancellation threshold.

The art looks great but I already don't like the concepts. Brevoort wants Nova to be the Lone Ranger. Loeb wants a teen tribute character. There's a cartoon version of "Nova" that they want to push. Like it or not we're stuck with Sam Alexander for the foreseeable future.

I agree with Daz. We shouldn't buy this crap. General Marvel fans apparently are not going to buy anything that's not Avengers, X-Men, or Wolverine oriented so if the 30K who normally buy cosmic boycott this crap, it'll be gone in 9 issues or less. Better to have no Nova/GotG than this trash. We need to write a lot in the forums and in articles about why we don't like it so Marvel gets the message as to why it tanked.
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM   Tweet this Post! #15
dpfeif
Darkhawk Class

Unfortunately, Marvel will interpret that as "fans actually DON'T like cosmic" as Brevoort keeps implying, and not as "we don't like THAT stuff". They're only going to read into it what they want to read into it. They've already had the audacity in the past to say "we know what the fans want better than they do". What fans want and what they will buy and put up with are two different things, and I hate to say I'm guilty of buying stuff I don't neccessarily like to stay up with what's going on. I need to curb that, and I'm hoping I can give that up with the stuff from the NOW! relaunch that I don't like. It's hard to say for sure with me, because I have to mail order my books sight-unseen 2 months in advance, just going by solicits and previews.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM   Tweet this Post! #16
freddy1428

Well, I'm agree with dpfeif, Marvel will simply think cosmic don't sell, and will stop them definitely....for example I'm sure that in some way it's because the mediocre Starlin comicbook in 2000's that Marvel have decided to make more cosmic titles and give them to Giffen....and trust me, Starlin 2000's was far worse than the new cosmic comicbook by Loeb/Bendis, if I trust this preview.

For the moment, Timelord, we have zero proof if it's another Nova or GotG of another dimension, and honestly I don't know if this title will be "crap", regardless I will give them a chance, because I'm fan of cosmic titles and cosmic characters....some DnA stuff have been horrible and it was a huge letdown in comparaison to Giffen, but I think it's better than nothing...for Loeb, he don't stay in title for too long, so we will have another writer very soon.

Except, maybe you guys are not aware, but in the Avengers team there will have a female Captain Universe, a female Smasher from the Imperial Guard and Hyperion !!! I think that sound very cosmic and most of you love Hickman stuff...so I think it's a good news for cosmic fans.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 PM   Tweet this Post! #17
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

I told Brevoort on twitter that I hope it fails miserably.

Of course his reply, was if it all fails, that'll definitely get you more cosmic books...

With my reply being I would rather have none.

They know exactly how we feel. They just don't care.

Plain and simple.

I then proceeded on to a Twitter War with some Marvel employee over this stuff. His argument was that DnA haven't worked on Cosmic for a while, which maybe Marvel cancelling the books almost two years ago, was Marvel trying to get through to the fans. However, I quickly shot that down and informed him this has been planned for 2 years.

I assume similar to Avengers Assemble it will have high sales, but tank as it goes, just like Moon Knight.

And then we'll hear from Brevoort that fans don't want to read cosmic.

Maybe it's fans don't want to read Bendis. Without a big named title, he doesn't sell squat.

Loeb's will sell a decent amount because it does look really cool; however, it's not the Nova I want. Maybe Freddy is right and Kid Nova will be the Nova of Earth with Rich out in space. Two books sounds good to me.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM   Tweet this Post! #18
dpfeif
Darkhawk Class

I really don't understand the mindset of comics publishers now. If you work at any other service/industry in the world, you're supposed to keep the customers happy and give them what they want/need (within reason). But Marvel specifically seems hellbent on pissing off it's most established and devoted fans to do things THEY want (and we know they know what we want), and damn the consequences. I'd be fired fast if I behaved that way to customers where I work (I may think it to myself that I wish the customers would go *&^%$ themselves and ignore them, but I have to keep that to myself and do what they need).
Old 10-14-2012, 01:35 PM   Tweet this Post! #19
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default New Nova - No Worldmind or Nova Corps

New Nova - No Worldmind or Nova Corps

- Twitter
cosmicbooknews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:54 PM   Tweet this Post! #20
timelord
Quasar Class

I agree with Stinger.

Better to have no cosmic than the abominations that await us from Bendis and Loeb. At least with no current cosmic, the concepts wouldn't be corrupted.

They'll destroy the concepts that made cosmic great, drive cosmic into the ground, and as a result cosmic will go on another extended hiatus as a corrupted concept rather then something good a later writer can pick up on in the future.

Watch USM if you want to know what the new "Nova in Name Only" will be like. Sam Alexander is a screw-up teen twit. Basically, Loeb has returned to trying to make a cosmic Spiderman-like character. Been there, done that, not interested in seeing it again. No awe and wonder of cosmic - just an overconfident guy who inheirited alien powers by accident fighting street criminals and not being good at it with some teen angst thrown in to appeal to the kiddies.

Seriously folks, the sooner this crap is cancelled the better. I predict if golden boys Bendis and Loeb are held to the same survive or die sales figures as everyone else and if the typical 30K of cosmic fans don't buy, these abominations won't last 9 issues. And good riddance.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM   Tweet this Post! #21
dpfeif
Darkhawk Class

Overwhelming majority from this FB query want Rich back. Not that anyone from will take notice.

https://www.facebook.com/Newsarama/p...27486577312628
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM   Tweet this Post! #22
nova3333
Captain Marvel Class

Well I've been around a few other forums here in the UK and most seem to favor our viewpoint - in short new NINO is going to tank. In the spirit of Stinger's Bring Back Quasar with a cake - perhaps we should consider launching a "Torpedo NINO" campaign and send him back to limbo where he belongs.

Don't get me wrong. I understand much regarding what loss Loeb must have gone through when he lost his son - anyone would - but if he wanted to enshrine his memory - it would have been far more respectful by creating a new original character entirely than take an existing character and "re-mould" him - into an architype that having read a lot of comments elsewhere not many fans really want.

And the same goes for Bendis on GOTG. Having read an article - its clear he considers GOTG as an "extension" of his Avengers work - so expect numerous issues where Rocket Raccoon will spend an entire 22 pages deciding which kind of mulch he needs to buy to make Groot grow big and strong and Peter Quill and Gamora discuss flirting.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM   Tweet this Post! #23
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfeif View Post
Overwhelming majority from this FB query want Rich back. Not that anyone from will take notice.

https://www.facebook.com/Newsarama/p...27486577312628
Yeah, I saw that.

I like how Newsarama has been acting lately, at least on their FB, they are not kissing the publisher's butts as much.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 PM   Tweet this Post! #24
stingerman
Quantum Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova3333 View Post

And the same goes for Bendis on GOTG. Having read an article - its clear he considers GOTG as an "extension" of his Avengers work - so expect numerous issues where Rocket Raccoon will spend an entire 22 pages deciding which kind of mulch he needs to buy to make Groot grow big and strong and Peter Quill and Gamora discuss flirting.
Yeah, I almost puked when I read that and then when Bendis went on to say they are guarding the earth.

Sounds terrible and then with d*head Tony to boot.

That will last less than 12 issues I bet. You know McNiven ain't on it for the long haul.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM   Tweet this Post! #25
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default How Long Will Nino Nova and Guardians of the Earth Last Before They Are Canceled?

How Long Will Nino Nova and Guardians of the Earth Last Before They Are Canceled?

- Twitter
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM   Tweet this Post! #26
dmills
Fraternity of Raptors

Let's say for the sake of fairness that I were giving Nino a chance. Looking at Loeb's comments, the Ultimate Spiderman version has been Nova for a while and yet he gets his ass kicked left and right every week on that show. According to Loeb this comic book iteration is supposed to be even less competent then the TV version (if it were possible). So from a pure salesmanship perspective, given your target audience (assuming its the Avengers/Marvel Earth reading crowd), who the hell wants to invest in a super-hero book where the hero gets his ass kicked every month? I can tell you right now that that crowd will drop that book like a sun dried poodle turd if that's the status quo.
dmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM   Tweet this Post! #27
nova3333
Captain Marvel Class

Over the last hour my mind has been ticking on a way to "visually" show what I and most of the fans think of the new status quo. So stay tuned for Sunday latest and I'm going to do a "mini page strip" which I plan to write and draw during the week between assignments.

In the meantime -changing subject and Universes and plugging as I do - anyone wondering when the next Nova619 ep is up - will be for first week November - we had a slight delay with some of the art due to some of the team falling ill last month - myself included - with the flu and I've had to give a extension to ensure it gets done - but fear not - we'll be back with Rich and Co very soon.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 PM   Tweet this Post! #28
Moose100

I try to stay patient about these things but man this is starting to get under my skin.
This is a result of what I see in other forms of media. Where they strip down and water down sci fi elements of a story. Because it's too "sciency".

And yes maybe they will address where RIch is but I am afraid Loeb will do the same as he did with the Red Hulk Ross reveal. I.e. take forever and keep him off the board. I may trade wait this and GotG. Of course it will probably be until this time next year wen it comes out.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM   Tweet this Post! #29
cosmicbooknews
Admin

Default New Marvel Heroes Trailer Reveals Kid Nova, Rocket Raccoon As Playable Characters

New Marvel Heroes Trailer Reveals Kid Nova, Rocket Raccoon As Playable Characters

- Twitter
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 AM   Tweet this Post! #30
timelord
Quasar Class

TL:
It's very disrespectful to Nova fans to hijack a character/concept with a 36 year history & drop juvenile drivel like USM's "Nova In Name Only" on us. I used to buy 2 copies of each Nova to help keep sales up. I won't buy 1 issue of Loeb's abomination.

Brevoort:
That's completely up to you, but I think "disrespectful" is taking things a bit far.

TL:
Loeb's Nova and Bendis' GotG won't last 9 issues each if you hold your Golden Boys to the same sales rules as every other book. You've already alienated the cosmic fans by destroying the concepts that made these books great. We don't buy & the books fail.

Brevoort:
I will bet all of the money in my pocket against all of the money in your pocket that both of those books go well beyond 9 issues. The rest of what you say is valid--it's up to the audience to decide whether to buy a book or not. But taking that into account, you're talking about creative teams that have an extensive track record of selling extremely well.