IDW Rom the Spaceknight series - Cosmic Book News Forums

Go Back   Cosmic Book News Forums > Comics, Movies, TV, Gaming and more > Indie Comics
Connect with Facebook

Indie Comics Image, Top Cow, IDW, Boom! Studios, Dynamite and the rest - discuss here

Old 12-16-2015, 02:13 PM   Tweet this Post! #1
NovaSpaceknightBetaRayX51
Nova Spaceknight

Default IDW Rom the Spaceknight series

Although it was teased back in July at SDCC, right along with The Micronauts, it wasn't until just recently that it was officially announced! As a longtime Rom fan(but late at actually collecting, starting at #61 at the old spinner rack) its about time Hasbro has done something with either properties.

Now, ther are plans that we are getting a shared cinematic universe with GI Joe, Rom, Micronauts in the next few years. Finally, Rom getting his due!

Richard Rider needs to be in the MCU and back in the comics. Have both Beta Ray Bill and Machine Man in the MCU and I'd be set to check off those boxes in the superhero wish fulfillment dept.
NovaSpaceknightBetaRayX51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:31 PM   Tweet this Post! #2
THANOSRULES
Darkhawk Class

Default Re: IDW Rom the Spaceknight series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSpaceknightBetaRayX51 View Post
Although it was teased back in July at SDCC, right along with The Micronauts, it wasn't until just recently that it was officially announced! As a longtime Rom fan(but late at actually collecting, starting at #61 at the old spinner rack) its about time Hasbro has done something with either properties.

Now, ther are plans that we are getting a shared cinematic universe with GI Joe, Rom, Micronauts in the next few years. Finally, Rom getting his due!

Richard Rider needs to be in the MCU and back in the comics. Have both Beta Ray Bill and Machine Man in the MCU and I'd be set to check off those boxes in the superhero wish fulfillment dept.
Marvel should sell Rider and the Nova Corps w the original New Warriors to IDW.

BTW when is ROM #1 expected to ship?
THANOSRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 PM   Tweet this Post! #3
Nova Spaceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
Marvel should sell Rider and the Nova Corps w the original New Warriors to IDW.

BTW when is ROM #1 expected to ship?
According to the press release, #1 is planned to launch some time in July.

From the IDW Publishing Dec 10 2015 news press release:
Rom the Space Knight #0 will make its debut on the first Saturday in May as IDW’s “Gold” offering for Free Comic Book Day. The annual FCBD event sees thousands upon thousands of comics from all publishers given away for free at participating comic shops. The comic will be co-written by IDW Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall and acclaimed comic-book/TV writer Christos Gage. Art on Rom #0 will be handled by David Messina, who will also be sharing artistic duties on the ongoing Rom series. The cover art for Rom #0 is by the Wild Blue Yonder team of Zach Howard and Nelson Daniel.

“It’s no hyperbole for me to say that launching a new Rom comic is one of the things we’ve most wanted to make happen for fans,” said Chris Ryall. “I know this because I’m one of them. The character has been absent from comics for too long and we can’t wait to introduce this all-new version to the world.”

Rom the Space Knight tells the story of Rom, a member of the benevolent Solstar Order and greatest of the Space Knights, interstellar soldiers in a centuries-old war with the Dire Wraiths. The Wraiths are a race of alien invaders who’ve destroyed many planets and infiltrated Earth for nefarious purposes.

Rom the Space Knight #0 will feature an introductory 10-page story of Rom’s arrival on Earth, an incident that sets up an ongoing Rom series launching in July 2016.

As for IDW owning Richard Rider, Nova Corps, etc...yeah, they would definitely have a blast with the properties and just imagine the shared cinematic universe .
Old 05-04-2016, 11:03 PM   Tweet this Post! #4
Nova Spaceknight

I got a copy of Micronauts #1. Didn't get a chance to fully read it yet. Just flipped through it for the art and some of the dialogue. First impression is that it looks okay but not great. Art and design updates all look cool but too early to tell if the series will be strong enough to hold up to the classic Marvel or even last Image series.

So, the guy that runs the Rom Spaceknight Art BlogSpot, Ben Hunstein, is a bit optimistic with IDW's Rom series after being disappointed with the Rom redesign previews. I saw some of the preview art and I have to say that I think Rom looks okay to me. Really reminds fans of the Spaceknight armor designs in Starlin's Spaceknights limited series that I enjoyed, even though Shlomo did not. Man, I sure hope this series doesn't suck. It doesn't have to live up to the hype to the tee but at least be decent enough for longtime Rom fans to be happy there is a decent Rom ongoing and not be another re-do that is a regrettable flop!

If you've seen the preview covers of Rom featured with GI Joe and the Transformers...it feels kinda cool and also somewhat strange that this Team-Up is really going to happen and all that.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:00 PM   Tweet this Post! #5
Nova Spaceknight

Well, Rom #0 was just "okay". Nothing spectacular nor as exciting as a Rom fan would look forward to. I'm okay with the Rom redesigns and glad that they pretty much kept with the Marvel design. I still have an issue with the boots. I'd rather they be close to MCU Iron Man or Mobile Suit Gundam with the big calf thing going on instead of the lame bellbottom business going on with the current look.

I'll be having this series in a regular LCS pullbox. Something I haven't had since Richard Rider was still active as Nova Prime.

Oh yeah, those covers with Rom featured in TF, GI Joe, etc are just promotional variant covers. Rom won't be appearing in any actual crossovers yet.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:20 PM   Tweet this Post! #6
Nova Spaceknight

I'll be adding this title to my LCS pull list. I do have some hope for it. I don't want it have a lot of PC Diversity-For-Diversity's-Sake junk in it. Comics need to stay away from that nonsense and the more that current event PC SJW politics are avoided or at least toned down as much as possible, the better. I say this because it features two prominent, strong Black female lead characters. Perhaps leading us to believe that one of them would be the modern day equivalent to "Brandy" and eventual have a Starshine hailing from Earth. I say "Black" because most Black Americans I know of are actually offended by the term "African-American" since they have not real intention of going to Africa, not even remotely familiar with their African roots and proudly consider themselves as American Patriots.

I liked the subtle homage to Bill Mantlo featured on at least one page. As a matter of fact, in the letters page, Mr. Mantlo and his brother are acknowledged and awareness made to make donation contributions to Mr. Mantlo. There possibly could not be a Rom Universe if not for Mantlo.

I'd like to support this as much as possible. I'm glad there is an ongoing Rom series again and that even though its not a direct continuation from Marvel, its strongly based on and influence by the classic Marvel series.

I picked up two "retailer incenctive" blank sketch cover variants, and a "subscription cover" by Zach Howard
I almost bought a copy of the Sal Buscema variant cover...I may actually pick one up if its still available. There are so many crazy variant covers but the Sal cover was one I would have seriously considered.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:30 AM   Tweet this Post! #7
MysterioHelmet
Fraternity of Raptors

Picked up the NCComicCon variant a couple weeks back. Got it signed by Christos and Ryall. I guess Gage has some ties out here in NC.

That being said....I liked the issue. Solid intro with Dire Wraiths basically everywhere and trying to make whole populations of Earth disappear by taking their place.

Then they tied into the IDW cross-over with a GI Joe ending....which I didn't know was going to happen.

Still....for cosmic fans...and those that want to stick it to Marvel (and there's a few)..... I think it's worth the price tag and worth following to see if it holds throught the promotional crossover.
MysterioHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:25 AM   Tweet this Post! #8
CapMarvell92
Nova Syfon Warrior

Still, i don't like having an entire race of ''black hats'' as the villains. Gene Rodenberry understood that by making the Klingons into proud warrior race guys around Star Trek 6 and Next Generation. I hope we get some morally ambiguos Wraiths in the future.
CapMarvell92 is offline   Reply With Quote